Cost per recipe $6.37 view details
- Â Â *GRAHAM-GRAPE-NUTS CRUMB CRUST FOR, prepared, but not
- 12 x Graham cracker squares, (16 square for 10-inch plate) (2 1/2-inch)
- 1/3 c. Grape-Nuts cereal, (1/2 c. for 10-inch plate)
- 2 Tbsp. Granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp. Hazelnut, walnut, or possibly canola oil
- 1 tsp Unsalted butter, melted (2 tsp. for 10-inch plate)
- 1/2 lrg Egg white, (1 Tbsp. for 10-inch plate)
- 1 tsp Fruit juice or possibly water, or possibly as needed (1 Tbsp. for 10-inch plate), up to 2
- 1Â 1/2 c. Nonfat cottage cheese, (12 oz)
- 1/3 c. Low-fat cream cheese, at room temperature (2 3/4 oz)
- 3 Tbsp. Nonfat vanilla yogurt
- 1/3 c. Granulated sugar
- 1Â 1/2 Tbsp. Unsifted all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 2 lrg Egg whites
- 1Â 1/2 c. Canned pumpkin puree
- 1/3 c. Dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp Grnd ginger
- 1/8 tsp Grnd cloves, scant
- Â Â Generous healthy pinch of salt
- Graham-Grape-Nuts Crumb Crust:The crunchy Grape-Nuts cereal in this graham cracker crust provides the texture of nuts without the fat. But you can use all graham crackers or possibly add in some nuts if you prefer (see Light Touch). Because this crust contains only a very small proportion of fat, it uses egg white to bind the crumbs.
- Because of the raw egg white, the crust must be baked in the oven for a short time; the baking also firms and crisps the crust so it holds together better than unbaked low-fat crumb crusts. (The trick to measuring half an egg white is to use a paring knife and fork to break it up; then the egg white can be measured with a measuring spoon.)
- After baking and cooling, this crust can be filled with any non-baked
- (refrigerator) filling. If the crust is to be used with a filling which must be baked, it's not necessary to prebake it. The recipe is written for a 9-inch pie crust, with adjustments for a 10-inch pie plate or possibly 8-inch springform pan noted in parentheses after certain ingredients.
- If the crust is to be prebaked, position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Crumble the graham crackers into the bowl of a food processor and process till crumbs form. Add in the Grape-Nuts cereal, sugar, oil, melted butter, egg white, and 1 tsp. juice of water. Pulse till the crumbs are proportionately moistened. Healthy pinch a spoonful of crumbs together, and test to see if they are moist sufficient to hold the print of your finger. If necessary, add in a few more drops of juice or possibly water and pulse once or possibly twice.
- Turn the crumbs into the pie plate (or possibly springform pan) and use your hand or possibly the back of a metal spoon to press an even layer around the sides of the pan. Spread the remaining crumbs proportionately over the pan bottom, top with a piece of wax paper, and press to create an even layer, taking care not to build up the crumbs in the corners. If you will be using an unbaked pie filling, bake the shell for 7 min.
- Cold completely on a wire rack before filling. The crust firms and crisps as it cools. If you will be using a filling which must be baked, set the unbaked shell aside in a cold location, or possibly chill till ready to be filled and baked. Light Touch: I like to use hazelnut oil or possibly fresh walnut oil for its nutty taste because nuts are omitted from this crunchy crust; you can substitute canola or possibly safflower oil. Advance
- Preparation: Theunbaked pie shell can be prepared a day before filling and kept covered in the refrigerator. The baked pie shell can be prepared a day in advance and kept covered at room temperature.
- Filling:Position a rack in the top third of the oven and preheat it to 350 degrees.
- Press the Graham-Grape-Nuts Crumb Crust crumb mix into a 9-inch pie plate. Set aside. Place the cottage cheese in a strainer set over a bowl.
- Cover the cheese with a piece of plastic wrap and press down
- continued in part 2
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 1377g|
|Calories from Fat 652||22%|
|Total Fat 73.44g||92%|
|Saturated Fat 26.68g||107%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 520.14g||139%|
|Dietary Fiber 27.7g||92%|