This is a great recipe for a traditional key lime pie. Key limes are also known as Mexican or West Indian limes. If you can't find them in your area, substitute bottled Key lime juice. The original recipe suggests Manhattan key lime juice if you are using bottled. I've tried the Williams-Sonoma juice and it's not as tart as fresh key limes. People who don't usually like citrus desserts love this one!
- For crust (I usually increase by another half and sometimes add 1/4 cup finely ground macadamia nuts)
- 1 1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs from 9 (2 1/4-inch by 4 3/4-inch) crackers
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- For filling
- 1 (14-oz) can sweetened condensed milk
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons fresh or bottled Key lime juice (if using bottled, preferably Manhattan brand)
- Optional* For topping (traditional key lime pie is not served with whipped cream, but if you want to, it's great!)
- 3/4 cup chilled heavy cream
- Make crust:
- Preheat oven to 350Â°F.
- Stir together graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and butter in a bowl with a fork until combined well, then press mixture evenly onto bottom and up side of a 9-inch (4-cup) glass or ceramic pie plate.
- Bake crust in middle of oven 10 minutes and cool in pie plate on a rack. Leave oven on.
- Make filling and bake pie:
- Whisk together condensed milk and yolks in a bowl until combined well. Add juice and whisk until combined well (mixture will thicken slightly).
- Pour filling into crust and bake in middle of oven 15 minutes. Cool pie completely on rack (filling will set as it cools), then chill, covered, at least 8 hours.
- Make topping:
- Just before serving, beat cream in a bowl with an electric mixer until it just holds stiff peaks. Add a teaspoon of vanilla and 2 tablespoons of confectioners sugar. Serve pie topped with cream.
- Cooks' note:
- â¢ Pie (without topping) can be chilled up to 1 day.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 158g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 205||39%|
|Total Fat 23.15g||29%|
|Saturated Fat 12.21g||49%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 70.22g||19%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.3g||4%|