Try out this cake, this recipe makes quite a big one. The only changes I make is that I reduce the amount of sugar and I omitted the pecan nuts topping. I'm giving the original recipe as it is. Try it and enjoy this delightful cake!
- Key Lime Cake
- (adapted from "Bake Your Cake & Eat It Too" by Tamara Milstein)
- For the cake
- 100gm pecan nuts, roasted and ground
- 250gm butter, softened
- 2 cups caster sugar (I use 260 gm)
- zest of 4 limes
- 5 large eggs
- 3 cups self raising flour
- 100gm ground almonds
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tbsp chopped macadamia nuts, toasted
- 2 tbsp sugar
- For the glaze
- juice of 4 limes (about 6-7 tbsp)
- 3/4 cup castor sugar (I use 120gm)
- 2 key limes
- 2 tbsp coconut threads
- Preheat the oven to 180C and generously butter a babka or fluted cake tin.
- Sprinkle the ground nuts over the buttered tin and set aside. (I use a lined and greased cake pan of 9" x 9" size).
- Cream together the butter, sugar and lime zest until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time and beat well after each addition.
- Remove the bowl from the mixer and add the self raising flour, ground almonds and milk, and mix gently but thoroughly.
- Pour the batter into the prepared tin and bake for 70 minutes or until golden and cooked through.
- To make the glaze, whisk the lime juice and sugar together and beat gently until the sugar has dissolved.
- Slice the limes thinly and soak the limes in the lime syrup.
- Once the cake has finished baking, remove the cake from the oven and brush/pour the lime syrup all over the cake, continuing until it has all been absorbed. (I prick surface of cake all over) Allow the cake to cool in the tin.
- When the cake has cooled and the syrup has been absorbed, decorate the cake with the lime slices and sprinkle with the coconut, then serve at room temperature.
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 1504g|
|Calories from Fat 2624||55%|
|Total Fat 300.89g||376%|
|Saturated Fat 146.62g||586%|
|Trans Fat 0.01g|
|Total Carbs 437.79g||117%|
|Dietary Fiber 21.2g||71%|