This is what I throw together when I can find a lot of veggies on sale at the super market. It is the perfect meal to make for people who are trying to eat healthy and cheap on the go because it makes A LOT of soup for a little bit of money and time. I make a whole batch and then freeze about half of it. When I run out I throw a container in the fridge and it lasts me all week. One batch can feed one person dinner for 3 weeks and easy clean-up because its one-pot! perfect!
* many of my canned ingredients are organic so that I am not eating a lot of preservatives, but you can use whatever kind of canned beans and veggies you like.
- 1 box plain couscous OR Quinoa (optional)
- 1 bag small pasta (any kind eg: orzo)
- 1 can of organic Red kidney beans
- 1 can of organic black beans
- 1 can of organic french cut green beans
- 1 can of organic cut white potatoes
- 1 bag of frozen green peas
- 1 bag of frozen chopped onion
- 3-4 cans of Progresso chicken stock or beef stock (I like Beef)
- 2-3 cups of water as needed
- 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese
- basil, salt, pepper, thyme, to taste
- 1 GIGANTIC pot.... as many gallon pot as you can find because this makes A LOT.
- Dump all canned and bagged ingredients (kidney beans, black beans, green beans, potatoes, green peas, onion, chicken or been stock, water and 1 tbs salt) into a LARGE pot (do not strain the canned veggies if they are organic, the juice helps season the soup).
- Put heat on high and wait till ingredients boil.
- Stirring occasionally.
- After ingredients come to a boil, turn heat to medium and add all the seasonings to taste and another cup of water. Then add Parmesan cheese and stir.
- Add your pasta and stir, let the pasta cook from the soup.
- Keep stirring and turn heat down to low after pasta is done cooking.
- let sit on low for 5-10 min and then take off burner, ration out into tupper ware and/or serve!
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 94g|
|Recipe makes 20 servings|
|Calories from Fat 10||7%|
|Total Fat 1.19g||1%|
|Saturated Fat 0.54g||2%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 25.59g||7%|
|Dietary Fiber 8.0g||27%|