What a wonderful, traditional, Mexican-style casserole. Comfort food for sure. I’ve loved this zesty dish for years but this was my first time making it. It was such a hit that my husband and I had it for dinner 3 days in a row. I stored the leftovers in individual plastic containers and put them in the freezer. This dreamy recipe is skinny due to using very lean ground beef and after browning, draining the fat. In addition, using just a bit of reduced-fat cheese, it doesn’t need much. Instead of making a corn bread topping from scratch, I’ve topped this pie with Marie Callender’s low fat corn bread mix! What a terrific find! It helps to make this dish come together very quickly. One skinny serving now has 389 calories and 8.6 grams of fat plus 5 grams of fiber. Savory every skinny bite because it’s really delicious…
- Ingredients for Tamale Filling
- 1 pound extra lean ground beef or ground turkey, I used Trader Joeâs extra lean ground beef (96/4)
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh garlic, minced
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 1 can (14Â½-oz) diced & fire roasted tomatoes (with green chiles) or 1 can of diced tomatoes, in juice
- â cup reduced-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- Â½ teaspoon salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Ingredients for Corn Bread Topping
- 1 package (1 lb.) Marie Callenderâs Low Fat Southwestern Corn Bread Mix, see shopping tip
- 1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Coat a 9â³ 2-quart casserole dish or oven proof 9â³glass bowl with cook spray and set aside.
- 2. For the tamale filling: In a large nonstick pan over medium heat, add the ground beef, onions and garlic. Cook stirring often, breaking up beef until meat is browned. Pour into a colander to drain the fat. Add back to pan.
- 3. Stir in beans, corn, tomatoes, cheese, chili powder. salt and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- 4. To make corn bread topping: Add to a mixing bowl 1Â½ cups water and corn bread mix. Mix by hand until lumps disappear.
- 5.. Pour the tamale mixture into the casserole dish. Spread evenly. Top with corn bread batter and spread evenly.
- 6. Bake for 30-35 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the corn bread comes out clean.
- 7. Cool a bit and cut into 8 slices. This dish will keep for several days in the refrigerator and freezes great.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 152g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 86||28%|
|Total Fat 9.59g||12%|
|Saturated Fat 3.58g||14%|
|Trans Fat 0.53g|
|Total Carbs 35.7g||10%|
|Dietary Fiber 8.5g||28%|