- 1 x Eggplant
- 1/2 c. Whole wheat flour
- 3 x Egg whites or possibly 1/2 c. egg Substitute
- 1/4 c. Skim lowfat milk
- 2 c. Bread crumbs
- 1 tsp Salt (in all)
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp White pepper
- 2 c. Tomato sauce
- 1/2 c. Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 c. Mozzarella cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Slice eggplant into 1/4" thick rounds.
- Prepare three bowls, the first with the flour mixed with 1/2 tsp salt, the second with the egg whites mixed with the skim lowfat milk, and the third with bread crumbs mixed with remaining 1/2 tsp salt, oregano, and pepper. Dredge eggplant slices in flour, then egg and lowfat milk mix, and then bread crumb mix. Make a layer of coated slices in a casserole dish and sprinkle with 1 c. tomato sauce and 1/4 c. parmesan cheese. Make another layer of slices on the first layer, staggering slices so they do not completely overlap lower slices. Sprinkle second layer with remaining 1 c. tomato sauce and 1/4 c. parmesan cheese. Cover casserole and bake for 45 min. Optional: remove casserole and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and return to oven for 5 min till cheese is melted.