Nigerian soups are just soooo yummy! Here's one that I never get tired of cooking or eating. The main ingredients are Ugwu (pumpkin) leaves and waterleaves but its all the other tidbits like the large snails, smoked fish and much more that make it the yummiest vegetable soup on earth...
- 1 kg assorted meat (beef, oxtail, tripe, offal, game)
- 4 snails (washed with lemon and limes) or 8 garden snails
- 450g stockfish (pre-soaked)
- 450g dry smoked fish (washed)
- 450g periwinkles, shelled
- 225g dry prawns, cleaned
- 225g ground crayfish
- 1 medium onion
- 50g ground hot chillies
- 1.35kg fresh ugwu (pumpkin leaves), washed and shredded
- 1kg fresh waterleaf (prepared and washed)
- 200ml palm oil
- 600ml stock
- salt to taste
- Wash the meat thoroughly and place in a large pot. Add some sliced onions, ground chillies and some stock. Place on heat and cook for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, remove the snail from shells and wash, rubbing with lime or lemon juice to remove slime.
- Wash the smoked dry fish with salt and soak in slightly salted water for 5 minutes to kill any insects and loosen any sand or grit. Rinse thoroughly with lots of cold water.
- Top and tail the Periwinkles and wash thoroughly.
- Add the snails, stockfish, dry fish, dry prawns and Periwinkles to the pot of meat and cook for a further 10 minutes, adding more stock if required.
- Finally add the shredded ugwu pumpkin leaves and waterleaf, mix in properly. Allow to simmer for 15 minutes, then add the Crayfish and palm oil.
- Give it a good stir and gently simmer for another 10 minutes until well blended and the aroma fills the kitchen.
- Remove from heat and serve hot with Fufu or pounded yam.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 391g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 453||76%|
|Total Fat 52.23g||65%|
|Saturated Fat 38.79g||155%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 2.37g||1%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.4g||1%|