Cost per recipe $1.27 view details
- 4 tsp cool water
- Â Â Red green, or possibly blue
- Â Â liquid food coloring
- 2 c. sugar
- 1 pkt powdered sugar - (16 ounce)
- 3 Tbsp. meringue pwdr
- 6 Tbsp. hot water - (to 8)
- Â Â Icing Easter animals
- Â Â Tiny candy blossoms
- Stir together 4 tsp. cool water and 2 drops of desired food coloring. Combine sugar and colored water in a zip-top plastic bag; blend well.
- Pack sugar mix firmly and proportionately into 2 large half-egg molds; scrape off excess sugar mix. Invert Large eggs onto a baking sheet; remove molds. Using a spatula, gently shave a flat edge on wide end of each egg to create a base.
- Bake at 200 degrees for 15 to 20 min or possibly till Large eggs harden. Remove from oven, cold, and scoop excess sugar from center of each egg half with a spoon or possibly paring knife, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Smooth edges with a spatula or possibly spoon. Return to oven, and bake 10 to 15 min or possibly till dry.
- Scoop out center of 1 egg half gently, all the way through, with a spoon or possibly paring knife to create an oval window, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Smooth window edges with a spatula or possibly spoon.
- Invert both egg halves onto a baking sheet. Pipe Royal Icing into egg half without window, and decorate Easter scene as desired.
- Pipe Royal Icing around inside rim of window, and gently place on top of other half, forming a whole egg. Pipe a border around outside rim of window and seam of egg. Let stand at least 1 hour to dry. Store in an airtight container.
- For the Royal Icing: Beat all ingredients at low speed with an electric mixer till blended. Beat at high speed 4 to 5 min or possibly till stiff peaks form. If icing is too stiff, add in additional water, 1/4 tsp. at a time, till desired consistency. (
- Makes about 3 c.)
- This recipe yields 1 egg.
- For Horizontal Egg Kaleidoscopes: Prepare egg molds as directed, and invert onto a baking sheet, removing molds. Gently cut off 1 inch from narrow end of each egg half to create a window. Bake as directed. Scoop out center of each egg, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Decorate shells as desired. Pipe Royal Icing around inside rim of 1 shell, and gently place on top of remaining shell, forming a whole egg. Pipe a border around outside rim of window and seam of egg. Let stand at least 1 hour to dry.
- Comments: Icing dries rapidly; keep extra icing covered tightly at all times while working. Look for meringue pwdr and icing decorations at crafts stores and cake-decorating stores. We used an egg-mold kit from Wilton (1-800-794-5866 or possibly www.wilton.com) and candy flowers from Sweet Celebrations (1-800-328-6722 or possibly www.sweetc.com).
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 508g|
|Calories from Fat 0||0%|
|Total Fat 0.0g||0%|
|Saturated Fat 0.0g||0%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 399.92g||107%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.0g||0%|