It looks like a lot of ingredients, but the second half of the ingredients list is optional toppings. I just use whatever I have on hand, cilantro, sour cream, cheese, whatever!
This is a super yummy, super easy, super cheap soup. It freezes well, and the "toppings" idea makes it great for a crowd... everyone can customize their own soup!
If you make it from dried beans, it takes a while to simmer. But there's almost no work in making this soup.
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 pound dried black beans
- 12 1/2 cups water, divided
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 1/2 cups chopped green bell pepper (about 3 medium)
- 2 1/2 cups coarsely chopped onion
- 1/3 cup chopped shallots (about 2 small)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 cups diced peeled avocado
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 cups thinly sliced red onion
- 1 1/2 cups chopped 33%-less-sodium smoked, fully cooked ham (optional)
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup light sour cream
- 10 teaspoon unsalted pumpkinseed kernels, toasted
- 1/3 cup finely chopped seeded jalapeÃ±o pepper (about 2 medium)
- Lime wedges (optional)
- Place bay leaves and beans in a Dutch oven. Add 12 cups water to pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 2 1/2 hours or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add bell pepper, chopped onion, and shallots to pan; cook 10 minutes or until onion is tender, stirring frequently. Stir in cumin, dried oregano, and fresh oregano; cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; let stand 10 minutes. Place vegetable mixture in a blender; add remaining 1/2 cup water. Puree until smooth.
- Add vegetable mixture, sugar, and salt to beans; simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Discard bay leaves.
- Toppings: Combine avocado and juice; toss gently. Ladle 3/4 cup bean mixture into each of 10 bowls; top each serving with about 3 tablespoons avocado mixture, about 3 tablespoons red onion, 2 tablespoons ham, about 1 1/2 tablespoons cilantro, about 1 1/2 tablespoons sour cream, 1 teaspoon pumpkinseed kernels, and about 1/2 teaspoon jalapeÃ±o pepper. Serve with lime wedges, if desired.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 529g|
|Recipe makes 10 servings|
|Calories from Fat 447||69%|
|Total Fat 50.69g||63%|
|Saturated Fat 8.29g||33%|
|Trans Fat 0.01g|
|Total Carbs 41.06g||11%|
|Dietary Fiber 9.4g||31%|