You will never have a better sweet potato pie than one made following this recipe. Bold statement? Not mine - this is what I've been told by some very knowledgeable cooks who know NOLA
I have made this recipe for years. There is none better - or so I've been told by some serious and knowing Creole cooks. And while some may say "Well, it sounds just like a pumpkin pie recipe", they are sorely mistaken. This, my friends, is a Creole Sweet Potato Pie.
This is the way to eat your vegetables!
Vegetables and ice cream - what a wonderful combo... Please try this recipe - and don't tell your diners (kids - family) what it is until after they tell you how delicious it was.
Step away from that can! - take the extra minutes to boil and peel your hand-selected yams or sweet potatoes. This was one of Chef Austin's greatest gifts to me and I have done well over the years by it.
- 4 large eggs
- 2 C cooked sweet potatoes or yams (mashed, sieved, blended or processed)
- 1 C dark brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp grated nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1-3/4 C half & half or evaporated milk
- 1 pastry shell for a 9 inch pie (works great in a gluten-free crust)
- As the oven preheats to 450 degrees, whip the eggs in a bowl until well combined.
- Add the pureed potatoes and whisk to combine
- Add the brown sugar, salt and all the spices and whisk
- Add the half & half (or evaporated milk) and whisk
- Ladle the filling into the pastry shell
- Bake 15 minutes at 450 degrees
- Reduce the heat to 300 degrees and bake approximately 30 minutes longer, or when a toothpick inserted 1 inch from the pie's center comes out clean
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool on a rack
- Serve cooled, with a dollop of real whipped cream or ice cream - or Rice Drean, if you are lactose intolerant,
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 136g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 90||35%|
|Total Fat 10.17g||13%|
|Saturated Fat 5.14g||21%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 36.12g||10%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.9g||3%|