- 4 x russet potatoes, sliced into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 x onion, sliced into rings salt and pepper to taste
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 c. lowfat milk
- 1 1/2 c. shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Butter a 1 qt casserole dish.
- 2 Layer 1/2 of the potatoes into bottom of the prepared casserole dish. Top with the onion slices. Add in the remaining potatoes on top and salt and pepper to taste.
- 3 To make the cheese sauce, heat butter in a medium-size saucepan over a medium heat. Add in the flour and salt. Stir constantly with a whisk for one minute. Add in lowfat milk, stirring with a whisk to remove any lumps. Cook over medium heat till it is thickened and warm. Add in cheese all at once, stir till melted; about 30 to 60 seconds. Pour cheese sauce over the potatoes, and cover the dish with aluminum foil.
- 4 Bake in a 400 degree F (200 degree C) oven for 1 1/2 hrs.