Delicious combo of proteins. The healthy salad is a great lunch box item and holds well in the fridge for 3 or 4 days (if it lasts that long).
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
Servings: 4 Servings
Cost per serving $2.20 view details
- 4 small boneless chicken breasts
- 1/4 t cumin
- 1/4 t lemon pepper
- dash salt
- 2 T oil to saute in
- 1 c dry whole wheat grains (berries)
- 2 c water
- 1/2 c toasted walnuts - chopped (or other nut you prefer)
- 1/4 c dry cranberries- chopped (or raisins)
- 2 green onion- small chop
- 2 stalks celery- small chop
- 1/2 c apple- small chop (i prefer a tart apple here)
- 1 carrot- peeled & shredded
- 1/4 c flat parsley - chopped
- juice of one lemon
- 2 T olive oil
- salt/pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 c romaine leaves in bite size pieces
- 1 1/2 c baby spinach
- Bring wheat and water to boil in large saucepan, let boil about 3 minutes then reduce to simmer for about 45 minutes or until tender. Drain & set aside.
- Rub chicken with cumin and lemon pepper and dash of salt. (pound to 1/2 inch thickness for faster cooking)
- Saute chicken about 3-4 minutes on each side, depending on thickness of meat.
- Let meat cool in saute pan until ready to slice and plate.
- In a large bowl, combine drained/cooled wheat, lemon juice, olive oil, nuts, cranberries, carrot, celery, green onion,apple, parsley and toss to mix.
- Season w salt/pepper to taste.
- Divide romaine spinach mix to 4 plates (or lunch containers)
- Top with 1 c wheat salad
- Finish with 1 chicken breast cut up
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 347g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 194||56%|
|Total Fat 21.9g||27%|
|Saturated Fat 4.62g||18%|
|Trans Fat 0.23g|
|Total Carbs 7.06g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.5g||8%|