I made this cake for some friends in Germany, because the granddaughter, Yvonne, didn't like sauerkraut and refused to eat it. I thought it would be a funny trick...and she loved the cake!
- 2/3 C Butter
- 1 1/2 C Sugar
- 3 Eggs
- 1 tsp. Vanilla
- 1/2 C Unsweetened cocoa
- 2 1/4 C Sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. Baking powder
- 1 tsp. Baking soda
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1 C Water
- 2/3 C sauerkraut, rinsed, drained and chopped*
- use plain sauerkraut. Don't use the type with the caraway seeds.
- 1. Cream well butter with sugar. Beat in eggs and vanilla.
- 2. Sift together dry ingredients.
- 3. Add dry ingredients alternately with water to egg mixture.
- 4. Stir in kraut. Turn into two greased and floured 8-inch square or round baking pans.
- 5. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes or until cake tests done.
- 6. Fill and frost with chocolate or mocha frosting.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 156g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 157||34%|
|Total Fat 17.84g||22%|
|Saturated Fat 10.29g||41%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 68.03g||18%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.3g||8%|