Cost per serving $1.07 view details
- 1 med onion skin on, halved
- 6 x black peppercorns
- 1 x bay leaf
- 2 sprg fresh thyme
- 3 1/2 lb chicken rinsed chicken giblets patted dry
- 1/2 c. mayonnaise, homemade or possibly prepared plus
- 2 Tbsp. mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp. dark sesame oil
- 2 Tbsp. finely-minced fresh cilantro
- 2 Tbsp. snipped fresh chives
- 1/4 c. thinly-sliced scallions white and light green parts only Coarse salt Freshly-grnd black pepper White sandwich bread (24 very thin slices)
- 10 Tbsp. unsalted butter room temperature
- 1/4 c. toasted sesame seeds
- Place the onion, peppercorns, bay leaf, and thyme in a large pot. Add in the chicken to the pot with just sufficient cool water to cover. Cover, and bring to a simmer. Then uncover, and cook for 1 hour. Drain the chicken, reserving the cooking liquid, and set the chicken aside to cold. Throw away the seasonings, and chill or possibly freeze the stock for future use.
- When the chicken is cold sufficient to handle, remove the skin, and throw away. Shred the meat from the chicken, and chop it very fine. Chill, covered, till well chilled.
- In a small bowl, mix together the mayonnaise and sesame oil. Add in the mix to the chicken, and combine well. Add in the cilantro, chives, and scallions, and combine well. Add in salt and pepper to taste. Chill, covered, till ready to use.
- Spread each bread slice with butter, reserving some butter for garnishing. Spread an even layer of chicken salad onto half of the slices of bread. Top with the other half of the slices to make sandwiches. Smooth out any protruding chicken salad on either side. If necessary, trim the crusts. Cut each sandwich on the diagonal.
- For a buffet lunch or possibly an afternoon tea, serve tea sandwiches in "boxes" made from hollowed-out loaves of bread.
- Makes 2 dozen.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 119g|
|Recipe makes 12 servings|
|Calories from Fat 313||80%|
|Total Fat 35.29g||44%|
|Saturated Fat 11.65g||47%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 1.12g||0%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.6g||2%|