Cost per serving $2.42 view details
- 7 tablespoons butter (divided into 3 tablespoons and 4 tablespoons)
- 1 turn of EVOO
- 1 onion diced
- 5 carrots, cleaned and cut into 1-inch pieces
- Â½ tsp dried thyme
- 1 Â¼ cup + 2 Tbs flour (divided into Â½ cup and Â¾ cup)
- 16 oz chicken broth
- Coarse salt, and pepper, to taste
- 1 Â¾ pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 Tbs Tabasco
- 3/4 cup milk
- Â½ tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas
- In a Dutch oven or heavy 5-quart pot with a tight-fitting lid, add 1 turn of EVOO, melt 3 tablespoons butter over medium heat.
- Add onion, carrots and thyme.
- Cookâ¦ stirring until onion softens, about 5 minutes.
- Add Â¾ cup flour; cook, while constantly stirring, 30 seconds.
- Add chicken broth and bring to a boil, stirring constantly; season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Salt & pepper cut chicken and add to pot, reduce heat to medium-low.
- Add Tabasco, cover; cook, stirring occasionally, 20 minutes.
- While the chicken is cooking, melt 4 tablespoons butter in a heavy skillet.
- Add milk and bring to a boil.
- Add Â½ tsp salt to Â½ cup + 2 Tbs flour and, whisk well. (The mixture will be pasty and sort of difficult to whisk, just mix it the best you can so the butter and flour are incorporated.)
- Remove from heat and let sit for 2 minutes.
- Add 2 eggs, 1 at a time â mix fast and hard.
- Once chicken has been cooking for 20 minutes, stir in peas.
- Raise heat to return to a simmer, drop dumpling batter into the soup by tablespoonfuls, (They grow while they cook, so be sure to space them out.)
- Reduce heat so soup maintains the lowest possible simmer.
- Cover and simmer for additional 20 minutes, until chicken is tender and dumplings are firm.
- I add red papper flakes when serving but I like it hot.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 525g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 259||41%|
|Total Fat 29.26g||37%|
|Saturated Fat 15.63g||63%|
|Trans Fat 0.12g|
|Total Carbs 53.45g||14%|
|Dietary Fiber 7.1g||24%|