Cost per serving $0.21 view details
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup roasted whole chestnuts (shelled)*
- 1/4 cup sugar (optional) plus 1/2 teaspoon (required)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup warm water (almost hot)
- 1-1/2 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- *TIP: Roasted whole chestnuts that are shelled and ready to eat are available online and at grocers and specialty food stores.
- Prepare a bread pan by applying non-stick spray to all sides and coating it with flour. Shake off excess flour. Set aside.
- In a food processor, add chestnuts and chop until finely ground. Set aside.
- In a coffee mug, add 3/4 cup of very warm water, dry yeast, and 1/2 teaspoon sugar. Briskly stir. Let the yeast rise to near the top of the mug.
- In the meantime, add to a stand mixer bowl 2 cups of flour, ground chestnuts, 1/4 cup sugar (optional) and salt. Slowly mix together.
- Add risen yeast mixture and olive oil to the flour mixture.
- Drizzle 1/4 cup warm water along the inside of the coffee mug to remove any leftover yeast and pour this into the mixing bowl.
- Mix together to form a dough ball. If the dough is too hard (dry), add a tablespoon at a time of warm water to it while mixing. If too soft (sticky) or has too much liquid in it, add a tablespoon of flour at a time while mixing. The dough is ready when the dough pulls away from the sides and bottom of the bowl and forms a dough ball.
- Spread some flour on a clean, flat surface. Pat hand in flour and remove the dough ball and any remnants from the mixing bowl onto the prepared work area. Knead the dough for a few minutes. Shape it to fit in the prepared bread pan. Flour all sides of the dough, lightly rubbing off excess. This helps prevent the bread from sticking to the pan when done and creates a nice crust.
- Place the shaped dough into the prepared bread pan. Cover dough with a clean hand towel and let rise. The dough is ready to bake when stretch marks form over its surface. NOTE: Depending on the roomâs temperature, this may take up to an hour or more. The trick is to allow the dough to rise. Risen dough makes for a better textured bread.
- Preheat oven to 450°F (232°C).
- With a sharp knife, cut through just the dough's surface every 1-2 inches.
- Bake the bread for 20-30 minutes or until deep golden brown. Remove from the pan. If the bottom hasnât browned, turn the bread upside down in the oven and let bake for a few more minutes.
- When done, remove bread from the oven and wrap it inside the same hand towel previously used during the dough's rising period.
- TIP: To learn more about the health benefits of chestnuts, visit http://bit.ly/eRxSOK
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 61g|
|Recipe makes 12 servings|
|Calories from Fat 13||9%|
|Total Fat 1.53g||2%|
|Saturated Fat 0.22g||1%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 28.58g||8%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.8g||3%|