This is a wholesome southern style dish rich on satisfaction with a measure less fat than traditional mac and cheese. My daughter Genesis loves it and I don't mind giving her seconds. Granted, I have a full on Southern Style Macaroni and Cheese, but I save that recipe for special occasions and family gatherings where we can share the love and the fat! Seconds won't be an issue because the it will disappear the first time around!
- 1 1lb. pkg. whole wheat rotini
- 4 c. low sodium chicken broth
- 1 1lb. pkg. chopped frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed of excess liquid
- 3 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/4 c. plain flour
- 2 c. reduced fat cheddar cheese
- 1/4 c. Pecorino Romano
- 1 can fat free evaporated milk
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 1/2 tsp. mustard powder
- 1 tbsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1/2 c. shredded mozzerella cheese for garnish
- kosher salt and cracked black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375* F.
- In a medium saucepan or pot bring chicken broth up to a boil. Add Rotini and cook for 1/2 recommended time about 6 minutes. Drain pasta. Reserve about 2 c. of the pasta water. Pour rotini into large greased baking dish preferably glass and add spinach. Stir with rubber spatula to distribute throughout. .
- Meanwhile prepare cheese sauce. In a heavy bottom saucepan melt butter together with olive oil. Bring up to medium heat and whisk in flour and cook until slightly browned- about 2 minutes. Whisking continuously, stream in evaporated milk and cook until thickened. Gradually add pasta water and cook about 2 more minutes. Add Cheddar and Pecorino cheeses. Whisk in mustard powder, onion powder and smoked paprika. Add kosher salt and pepper to taste.
- Temper beaten eggs with a 1 tsp. of cheese sauce at a time for about 1 tbsp. total, then incorporate into cheese sauce.
- Pour over rotini and stir to coat. Cover tightly with foil. Bake covered until set about- 45 minutes and mac and cheese is golden and bubbling around edges and center is set. Uncover and place under broiler for several minutes for top to brown slightly. Remove from oven and sprinkle with mozzerella cheese.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 224g|
|Recipe makes 12 servings|
|Calories from Fat 139||39%|
|Total Fat 15.79g||20%|
|Saturated Fat 8.54g||34%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 36.9g||10%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.5g||8%|