Cost per serving $1.74 view details
- 2 medium onions, peeled, quarters, and thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 ribs of celery, cut into 2-inch (5 cm) pieces
- 1 carrot, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 low-sodium canned tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 6-ounce (180 g) sweet potato, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 1 3/4 cups (420 ml) fat-free low-sodium canned beef broth
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) dry red wine or additional beef broth
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) ground cumin
- 1 pound top round steak, grilled and cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 pound green beans, trimmed and blanched for 2 minutes
- salt (optional) and freshly ground pepper
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) chopped fresh cilantro or flat-leaf parsley
- Coconut Rice:
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) crushed dried oregano
- 1 cup (150 g) raw brown basmatti rice
- 2 cups (480 ml) fat-free low-sodium canned chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon (4 g) reduced-fat margarine
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) unsweetened coconut
- 2 scallions, white part and 1 inch (2.5 cm) green, minced
- salt (optional) and freshly ground pepper to taste
- In a heavy Dutch oven, combine onion, garlic, celery, carrot, tomato, sweet potato, beef broth, wine, and cumin. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 15 minutes, until vegetables are tender and sauce is slightly thickened.
- Stir in reserved green beans and steak pieces. Cook for another 10 minutes. Stir in cilantro.
- In a heavy saucepan, combine oregano, rice, chicken broth, and margarine. Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook, covered, for 10 to 15 minutes, until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, toast coconut in a heavy nonstick skillet over medium-low heat, tossing coconut frequently, until coconut is lightly browned.
- When rice is done, fluff with a fork, stirring in coconut and scallions.
- To serve, spoon meat and vegetables around the Coconut Rice. Pour sauce into a gravy boat and pass separately.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 555g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 23||5%|
|Total Fat 2.71g||3%|
|Saturated Fat 0.82g||3%|
|Trans Fat 0.18g|
|Total Carbs 99.78g||27%|
|Dietary Fiber 8.4g||28%|