Caramelized onions are a tasty addition to many meals but caramelized onions turned into onion jam is just plain DELICIOUS! This week I am making onion jam but unlike others that make it I am not making it sweet, rather I am going to be making a savory garlic bourbon onion jam.
- A large saute pan or skillet I used a 5 1/2 quart Cuisinart high wall saute pan.
- 4 to 6 Onions any kind you want to use peeled and sliced.
- 1/4 Cup olive oil.
- 1 Cup Chicken stock.
- 1 Cup fresh squeezed lemon juice.
- 1/4 to 1/2 Cup of Kentucky bourbon.(Your choice of brand)
- 1 Tbsp. Brown sugar.
- 4 Cloves of finely chopped or pureed garlic. I used 6 cloves.
- 1 Tbsp. dry thyme.
- 1 Tbsp. rosemary.
- 1 Tsp. dry sage.
- 2 Bay leaves.
- Salt and black pepper to taste.
- NOTE: If using fresh herbs use 4 to 8 sprigs of the rosemary and thyme and a handful of chopped fresh sage leaves.
- 1+Tsp Caraway seeds. Careful with these as they are very strong and pungent.
- Optional Ingredients:
- 1 or 2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard mixed into Onion Jam five minutes before it is finished cooking.
- 1. Heat your cooking oil on medium high heat. Donât let oil smoke.
- 2. Put your onions in a large saute pan or skillet and begin to sweat them down. Add some salt and black pepper.
- 3. Once onions get translucent add 2 bay leaves and your chicken stock and stir/mix well.
- 4. Add your brown sugar and mix well. Cook this mixture 15 minutes uncovered until liquid is just about gone.
- 5. Once the chicken stock is almost gone add your garlic and cook uncovered until stock is gone and onions have caramelized and you have some tasty brown caramelization going on in the skillet or saute pan.
- 6. Now add lemon juice to the saute pan or skillet and deglaze it. The lemon juice will help break down the onions.
- 7. When the lemon juice is almost gone add your rosemary, thyme and sage and mix the herbs in well.
- 8. Cook onions until they are caramelized. The onions will have reduced significantly at this time to about 1 1/2 cups of onion jam. This means the onions have broken down.
- 9. Now add your caraway seeds and mix well into the Caramelized Onions.
- 10. Now slowly add your Kentucky bourbon to deglaze your saute pan or skillet. It might flambeâ or it may not. Be careful. Stir bourbon in well and allow alcohol to cook out. We want the flavor not the alcohol!
- Now remove your onions from your skillet or saute pan and allow the Onion Jam to cool. Thatâs all folks! That is all there is to making Caramelized Onions into Onion Jam! Enjoy! Now here is the beginning of a list of things that you can do with Caramelized Onions or Onion Jam.
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 1072g|
|Calories from Fat 498||59%|
|Total Fat 56.43g||71%|
|Saturated Fat 8.15g||33%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 87.19g||23%|
|Dietary Fiber 13.8g||46%|