Cost per serving $0.19 view details
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 medium onions, chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 2 teaspoons roasted garlic
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup veggie stock
- 16 slices (1/2-inch-thick) baguette-style French bread (from 10-ounce loaf)
- crumbled Gorgonzola cheese or your choice.....
- Granny smith apple slices
- 1Melt butter in 7-inch skillet over medium heat. Cook onions, brown sugar and vinegar in butter 20 to 25 minutes, stirring frequently, until onions are golden brown.
- 2Set oven control to broil. Place baguette slices on ungreased cookie sheet. Broil with tops 4 to 6 inches from heat 1 to 2 minutes or until lightly toasted.
- 3Spoon about 1 teaspoon caramelized onions evenly onto each baguette slice. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon of the cheese. Broil about 1 minute or until cheese is melted.
- Gorgonzola is a cow's-milk cheese with bluish-green veins, similar in flavor and appearance to other blue cheeses. If you don't have Gorgonzola, any other blue cheese, such as Roquefort, Stilton or Maytag, would be a good substitute.
- The onions can be cooked and refrigerated up to 48 hours ahead of time and reheated in a microwave oven. Assemble the appetizers just before broiling.
- Arrange these tasty appetizers on a pretty platter, and garnish with fresh parsley or another favorite herb. Add a variety of marinated olives from the deli.
- 1 in 2-quart saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Stir in onions and garlic; cook uncovered 10 minutes, stirring every 3 to 4 minutes. Add salt, brown sugar, vinegar and broth. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 30 minutes.
- 2 Meanwhile cut loaf crosswise into slices, about 1/2 inch thick. Arrange slices on ungreased cookie sheet. Spray each slice with cooking spray until lightly coated. Put in oven; bake 8 to 10 minutes until lightly toasted.
- 3 Remove saucepan cover, increase heat to medium-high. Cook 2 to 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until most of the liquid is reduced and the mixture is the consistency of jam. Remove from heat; set aside.
- 4 Place some Gorgonzola cheese and about 1 teaspoon caramelized onions on each toasted bread slice; top with apple slice and/ or herbs of choice.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 49g|
|Recipe makes 16 servings|
|Calories from Fat 8||24%|
|Total Fat 0.89g||1%|
|Saturated Fat 0.13g||1%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 6.28g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.7g||2%|