In this weeks video I will be making a Doenjang Molasses Chili Bourbon Chicken Wings Recipe. It is delicious! Doenjang? What’s that? People ask me all the time. Well, Doenjang is a Korean soybean paste. No! It is not miso it is soybean paste. Doenjang is made by taking dried soybeans and boiling them in a brine. When the boiling process is done the Doenjang is formed into blocks and set out in the sun. Doenjang is very pungent and stronger in flavor than white or red miso that I have had from other countries. It is also thicker and grainier as it is not produced as smooth as miso is. Many factories that produce Doenjang just make it with the soybeans and the brine but some factories and my local Korean supermarket add dried and ground anchovies! I LOVE anchovies! These anchovies really add to the pungent aroma and flavor of Doenjang. If you have ever had Korean Jjigae of any kind the main constituent is Doenjang. Many people use Doenjang as a dipping sauce or even a spread on crackers. Yummy! Doenjang is considered along with Gochugaru to be essential sauces of the cuisine of Korea!
- 1 4Lbs. bag of chicken wings.
- 1/2 Cup +/- Doenjang soybean paste.
- 2 Tbsp cane vinegar.
- 2+ Tbsp. Sambal sauce or Sriracha sauce. Start at 2 Tbsp. and work your way up if you want more heat.
- 1 Cup Molasses.
- 3 to 4 fingers of Kentucky bourbon.
- Some all purpose flour in a zip lock bag to dust the wings with.
- Sesame seeds for topping. You can optionally use finely sliced scallions as well.
- 1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- 2. Rinse and clean your Chicken Wings and then pat them dry.
- 3. Once the Chicken Wings are dry put them in zip lock bag and shake them up. Get them lightly dusted in the flour. The flour is being used to help the Chicken Wing sauce to stick to them.
- 4. In a large bowl mix/whisk together the doenjang, cane vinegar, sambal sauce, molasses and bourbon. Mix these ingredients well and set aside.
- 5. If you have a steel mixing bowl or some other large bowl get it now and put 10 to 12 dusted Chicken Wings in it. Now spoon over some of the Chicken Wing sauce and mix into the Chicken Wings by hand. Get them well coated.
- 6. Mow line up the Chicken Wings on a baking sheet just a little bit apart from each other.
- 7. Place the baking sheet with the Chicken Wings into the preheated 400 degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until you see some nice crispy edges or caramelization going on!
- 8. Then turn the Chicken Wings over and put back in oven for another 10 to 15 minutes until that side is crispy.
- 9. Once the Chicken Wings are done remove from the oven and serve hot or let stand for a few minutes. If you have any more sauce left you can use a spoon, brush or BBQ mop to add another layer of sauce to the Chicken Wings.
- 10. To make the Chicken Wings even more sticky take a spoon and drizzle some more molasses over the wings before serving! Enjoy!
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 336g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 354||45%|
|Total Fat 39.2g||49%|
|Saturated Fat 10.99g||44%|
|Trans Fat 0.47g|
|Total Carbs 63.03g||17%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.0g||0%|