Fenugreek is rich in protein, calcium and iron and is very beneficial for the body; in fact, it is recommended for the treatment of diabetes. Fenugreek is used in many recipes and one of the most popular ones is fenugreek Indian fry bread. It is simple and easy to make and can be stored for up to 10 days without spoiling. Given below is a yummy fenugreek Indian fry bread recipe that you can prepare in no time.
- Shopping list:
- 300 grams of wheat flour
- 150 grams of gram flour
- 200 grams of freshly washed and cut fenugreek leaves
- 10 mg of salt (according to taste)
- 50 grams of diced green chilies
- 10 ml of hot oil
- 5 mg of cumin seeds
- A pinch of turmeric
- A pinch of asafetida
- Oil for frying the bread
- Water to knead the dough
- - Mix the wheat flour and gram flour in a mixing bowl.
- - Add the salt and fenugreek leaves to the flour mix and rub the mixture between your hands so that all the leaves are coated with flour.
- - Let the mixture rest for about 15 to 20 minutes, as the fenugreek leaves will shed some water because of the salt.
- - Mix the flour and leaves once more.
- - Now add the cumin seeds, turmeric, asafetida and diced chilies to the mix and combine well.
- - Make a small well in between the flour and pour the hot oil in the center.
- - Use your hands or a fork to combine the oil and flour so that there are no lumps and you get a crumbly mix.
- - Now use the water to knead a soft dough.
- - Cover with a damp cloth and let the dough rest for about 30 minutes.
- - Make small balls of the dough.
- - Use a rolling pin to roll out 3-4 inch diameter circles of the dough.
- - Heat the oil and fry the rolled out dough at medium heat until golden brown in color on both sides and puffy in appearance.
- - Drain on an absorbent paper towel and serve hot.
- Serving suggestion:
- Fenugreek Indian fry bread (commonly known as 'methi puri' in Hindi) can be served with:
- - Spicy tomato chutney
- - Tamarind chutney
- - Raita (yogurt seasoned with tempered cumin seeds and mustard seeds or yogurt mixed with salt, pepper, grated cucumber and diced tomatoes)
- - Potato and peas gravy
- - Mango and chili pickle
- - Curried vegetables
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 336g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 27||9%|
|Total Fat 3.07g||4%|
|Saturated Fat 0.3g||1%|
|Trans Fat 0.06g|
|Total Carbs 58.19g||16%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.2g||7%|