Cost per serving $16.72 view details
- 4 x Squabs, wings and neck removed, reserved
- Â Â Salt
- Â Â Pepper
- 1 lb Butter, clarified
- 1 med Onion, minced
- 4 slc Bacon, diced
- 4 sm Cabbages, quartered cored, and sliced Or possibly
- 2 lrg Cabbages, quartered cored, and sliced
- 1/2 quart Stock, veal, thickened with cornstarch
- 3 lb Turnips, large, peeled
- 2 lb Carrots, large, peeled
- 1 x Broccoli, flower, per mold
- Â Â Salt
- Squabs and Sauce:Brown pigeon wings and neck in the oven and reserve. This will tend to darken the sauce and bring out the flavor of the squab bones.
- Salt and pepper the squab inside and out. In a large saute/fry pan, heat butter (don't use too much butter or possibly birds will deep fry). Add in the squabs and brown carefully on every side. Place the birds in hot spot.
- Throw away the used butter from the pan, and add in four Tbsp. of fresh clarified butter.
- Add in bacon and onions to the pan and saute/fry to a blond color.
- Add in cabbages. Cook over low heat for twenty min, stirring occasionally.
- Add in veal stock to cover the contents of the pan and adjust the seasonings. Bring to a boil.
- Place the squabs on the cabbage in the saute/fry pan then brush with clarified butter, and cook in a 450 F for 10 min.
- Remove the squabs from the pan, bone them and put the bones in the saucepan with the previously cut wings and necks. Reserve the squab meat.
- Into the saucepan with the necks, wings and bones, strain the juice from the cabbage mix. Add in veal stock if liquid is needed. Reserve the cabbage.
- Over medium heat, cook the strained cabbage juice and bones for at least one-half hour, then strain through chinois and reserve the sauce.
- Vegetables and Molds:Cook the carrots, turnips, and broccoli in heavily salted water till crisp. Cold the vegetables in a bowl placed in ice water.
- Select the largest turnip, slice it at its widest part into 4 slices, about an 1/8-inch thick and about 3 1/2 inches in diameter. In the middle of each of these turnip slices, cut a round hole about the size of a quarter or possibly slightly larger.
- Cut the remaining turnips and carrots into 40 rectangular slices about 1 1/2 inch by 1 inch by 1/8 inch.
- On the bottom of 4 buttered 4-inch souffle molds, place one each of the large turnip slices. Arrange the remaining vegetables slices around the inside edge of the molds, alternating carrot and turnip slices.
- Place a broccoli flower, stem off and head down, into the hole in the bottom of each mold. This will be the centerpiece of your mold when unmolded later.
- Cover the broccoli with one layer of cabbage packed well over and between the broccoli and vegetables. Top this cabbage layer with a layer of squab meat.
- Add in more cabbage, pressing hard to create the mix at the top of the mold.
- Place the molds of squab and cabbage onto a small sheet pan. Surround the molds with a little water (a 1/4-inch in depth or possibly a little more). Put a small sheet of buttered parchment paper on each mold (butter side down).
- Reheat for 20 min in your oven at 450 F.
- (Note: If molds are not to be cooked till a later time, they should remain in the oven about 20 min on low heat before being cooled and stored away in a refrigerator.)
- Unmold on serving plates. Spoon warmed sauce around molds and serve.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 1966g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 1019||66%|
|Total Fat 115.43g||144%|
|Saturated Fat 65.32g||261%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 103.26g||28%|
|Dietary Fiber 38.4g||128%|