And you thought kale was just useful for garnishing at your local buffet! What a waste of a great vegetable.
This is a substantial side dish that is great with barbeque or broiled chicken.
- 2 Bunches of Fresh Kale
- 1 Cup Chicken Broth or other braising liquid.
- Three Rashers Thick Bacon
- Brown Sugar
- Olive Oil
- Kosher Salt
- Fresh Cracked Pepper
- Rinse kale well and tear into 3-inch pieces, discarding stems.
- Heat a large skillet with deep sides over medium.
- Slice bacon into lardons.
- Over medium heat, render bacon until fat is rendered, but still chewy. Do not discard fat.
- Add the kale to the skillet and sprinkle liberally with kosher salt and fresh-cracked pepper. Add a bit of olive oil, 2-3 tablespoons of brown sugar, and several pats of butter. The kale will be begin to wilt with the addition of the salt.
- Fold the kale, bacon and seasonings several times.
- Add the chicken broth or other braising liqiud. Be adventurous here! You can use the steaming liquid from another vegetable, a crisp sauvignon blanc, beer, or even Red Bull. Anything that will marry well with the brown sugar and bacon.
- Cover loosely and braise 15-20 minutes.
- Plate in a shallow server and drench with the remaining braising liquid. Make sure there is a plenty of crusty bread for sopping the liquid.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 132g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 203||91%|
|Total Fat 23.16g||29%|
|Saturated Fat 14.56g||58%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 3.43g||1%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.1g||4%|