Simple, fun, and tasty. This is my twist on a roulade, but instead of a filling you get crispy bacon and a succulent shrimp! Serve them as main course at a BBQ or as an appetizer from the broiler. Don't do Pork? Just substitute with turkey bacon.
A roulade is typically a dish consisting of a slice of meat rolled around a filling, such as cheese, vegetables, or other meats.
- 2 Boneless Chicken Breasts
- 1 LB. 8/10 or 13/15 Shrimp
- Several Rashers Thick Bacon
- Kosher Salt
- Fresh-Cracked Pepper
- Tooth picks or short, wooden skewers
- PREPARE CHICKEN: Wrap each chicken breast in plastic wrap loosely, place on butcher paper, and then pound out until the chicken is 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch thick. Work from the middle of the chicken breast out the sides, taking care not to tear or mutilate the chicken. With patience you'll achieve the desired thickness. Use the flat side of the mallet, not the tenderizing side. When you have the chicken to the desired thickness, slice into long strips about 1 1/2 inches thick. The resulting strips of chicken should be 4-6 inches long.
- PREPARE BACON: Slice each rasher of bacon in half.
- PREPARE SHRIMP: Peel, devein, and wash the shrimp or buy them prepared as such. The shrimp is the centerpiece of this dish, so buy the freshest, best quality shrimp you can afford.
- ASSEMBLE THE ROULADES: Place a chicken strip on your work surface, top with a half rasher of bacon, and then with a shrimp. The shrimp should be placed at the end closest to you. Season liberally. I particularly like cayenne with this, but you can also use chinese-five spice, garam masala, curry, or anything that you like. Starting to the side closest to you, roll the shrimp in the bacon/chicken strip. Secure with two tooth picks or a short, wooden skewer. To fasten securely, start the tooth pick at a 45-degree angle, push in an inch and then turn the pick at a 90-degree perpendicular angle and push in the rest of the way. This will help secure the chicken firmly around the shrimp. Place on a baking sheet and continue until all shimps are wrapped. Season the outside of the wraps after you have complete wrapping them all.
- Grill or broil on high on each side for 7-8 minutes. Don't overcook or you will ruin your shrimp! Serve with braised kale, half-ears of buttered corn, and good, cold beer. I'd recommend Modelo Especial for this one or Red Bull, OJ, and 7-Up.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 46g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 39||49%|
|Total Fat 4.29g||5%|
|Saturated Fat 1.23g||5%|
|Trans Fat 0.06g|
|Total Carbs 0.0g||0%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.0g||0%|