Cost per serving $3.43 view details
- 3 Tbsp. Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 sm Baby chickens or possibly Cornish hens (12 to 16 ounce ea)
- Salt to taste
- Freshly grnd black pepper to taste
- 1 c. Pearl onions peeled
- 1/2 c. Diced carrots
- 1/2 c. Diced turnips
- 2 Tbsp. Dry thyme
- 3 x Garlic cloves crushed
- 1 c. Dry red wine
- 1/2 c. Canned plum tomatoes liquid removed, crushed
- 2 c. Chicken stock
- 1/4 c. Crumbled crisp-cooked bacon
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees.
- Remove the first two wing joints and the backbone from the chickens or possibly hens and butterfy (flatten). Heat the extra virgin olive oil in a large, deep skillet. Season the chicken with salt and pepper, and brown well on both sides before removing and placing in an ovenproof casserole.
- To the skillet in that you cooked the chicken, add in the onions, carrots, turnips, thyme, and garlic, and saute/fry till the vegetables begin to wilt. Add in the red wine, plum tomatoes, and chicken stock to the vegetables, and cook for 10 min over medium heat. Pour the vegetable mix over the chicken in the heatproof casserole and simmer, covered, for 45 min. When the chicken has finished cooking, add in the cooked, crumbled bacon to the casserole, and serve.
- This recipe yields 4 servings.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 900g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 930||62%|
|Total Fat 103.36g||129%|
|Saturated Fat 28.08g||112%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 10.29g||3%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.6g||9%|