Cost per recipe $13.08 view details
- 1 1/2 x Lemons
- 6 med Artichokes, (about 3 pounds), preferably with long stems
- 3 ounce Sliced pancetta
- 1 lrg Garlic clove
- 2 Tbsp. Salt
- 9 ounce Dry thin egg fettuccine or possibly 12 ounces regular dry fettuccine
- 1 Tbsp. Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. Unsalted butter
- 1/4 c. Dry white wine
- 1 c. Chicken broth
- 1/2 c. Freshly grated Parmesan
- 2 Tbsp. Minced fresh flat-leafed parsley leaves
- 1 Tbsp. Fresh lemon juice
- Trim artichokes Italian style: Halve 1 lemon and into a bowl of cool water squeeze juice from 1 half, dropping squeezed half into water.
- Don't cut off stems of artichokes. Working with 1 artichoke at a time, bend back outer leaves till they snap off close to base and throw away several more layers of leaves in same manner till exposed leaves are pale green at top and pale yellow at base.
- With a sharp stainless-steel knife cut off tops of leaves about 1 to 1 1/4 inches from top of artichoke. Trim fibrous parts from base of artichoke, being careful not to break off stem. Cut a thin slice from end of stem to expose a fresh cross section. Trim outer green fibrous part from stem, leaving pale core intact. Rub artichoke all over with cut side of remaining lemon half and put artichoke in bowl of lemon water. Repeat with remaining artichokes.
- Fill a 4-qt saucepan three-fourths full with water and bring to a boil with the remaining 1/2 lemon. Quarter 1 artichoke lengthwise through stem and with a stainless-steel paring knife cut out the choke. Trim any spiky purple-tipped leaves. Halve quarters lengthwise and return to bowl. Prepare remaining artichokes in the same manner.
- Simmer artichokes in boiling water 5 min, or possibly till almost tender, and drain in a colander. Artichokes may be prepared up to this point 1 day ahead, cooled completely, and chilled, rolled in damp paper towels in a sealable plastic bag.
- Chop pancetta and mince garlic. Fill a 6-qt kettle three fourths full with water and bring to a boil with salt for fettuccine.
- In a 12-inch deep heavy skillet cook pancetta in oil over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, till crisp and with a slotted spoon transfer to a bowl. Throw away fat from skillet.
- In skillet, heat butter over moderate heat till foam subsides and cook artichokes, stirring occasionally, till golden brown, about 5 min. Add in garlic and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add in wine and simmer, stirring and scraping up browned bits, 1 minute.
- Cook fettuccine in boiling water till al dente. Drain pasta. Add in heated chicken broth to artichoke mix and bring to a boil. Add in pasta, pancetta, Parmesan, parsley and lemon juice, tossing to combine well.
- Yield: 6 first-course servings
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 882g|
|Calories from Fat 556||57%|
|Total Fat 63.02g||79%|
|Saturated Fat 30.86g||123%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 46.42g||12%|
|Dietary Fiber 27.1g||90%|