This is a nice main dish salad that serves two amply as a full meal. If you are not into smoking food as I am then grilling the chicken works fine as well. The applewood smoke flavor adds a nice accent taste to the dish however. If you don' have pomegranate molasses substitute honey but you won't get that sweet tang of the pomegranate flavor. I served the salad with freshly baked Afgan Naan bread and hummus.
A fruit forward red wine works well with the smoked chicken. I chose a 2008 Jacuzzi Family Vineyards Primitivo from Lake County.
- 3 oz applewood chunks
- 12 oz chicken breast, skinned & boned
- garlic pepper & rub of your choice to season chicken
- 1 avocado, peeled/seeded & sliced
- 2 kiwi, peeled & sliced
- 2 pears, cored, trimmed and sliced
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup sliver almonds, toasted
- 3 oz blue cheese, crumbled
- 6 oz baby spinach
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 2 Tbs pomegranate molasses
- 1 Tbs Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt/garlic pepper to taste
- Combine cranberries, vinegar, pomengranate molasses, mustard, salt/garlic pepper in a blender. Process on highest speed until the cranberries are completely broken down and ingredients form a liquid. Gradually add the olive oil in a slow steady stream to emulsify the dressing. Taste and adjust seasoning as necessary. Set dressing aside until service.
- Place prepared pears and avocado in lemon water to keep from browning until assemble. Refrigerate until service.
- Season and tie chicken breasts. If smoking preheat the smoker to 250^. Smoke at 250^ for about thiry five minutes or until the breasts are done. Allow breast to rest five minutes before cutting.
- Place spinach in two large salad bowls. Pat fruit and avocado dry before adding to spinach. Cut breast into pieces and add to salad. Top with raisins, almonds and crumbled blue cheese.
- Serve dressing tableside to be added to salad. I served the salad with freshly baked Afgan Naan bread and hummus.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 809g|
|Recipe makes 2 servings|
|Calories from Fat 737||54%|
|Total Fat 83.26g||104%|
|Saturated Fat 17.86g||71%|
|Trans Fat 0.03g|
|Total Carbs 121.29g||32%|
|Dietary Fiber 19.4g||65%|