Cost per serving $1.16 view details
- 3 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 6 med white onions sliced
- 8 c. beef broth (Swanson is best)
- 1 c. water
- 2Â 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic pwdr
- 1/4 tsp freshly-grnd black pepper
- 5 x plain hamburger buns
- 10 slc provolone cheese
- 10 tsp shredded parmesan cheese
- Add in 3 Tbsp. oil to a large soup pot or possibly saucepan over medium-high heat. Add in the sliced onions and saute/fry for 20 min till the onions begin to soften and start to become translucent/soft. You do not want them to brown.
- Add in the beef broth, water, salt, garlic pwdr and black pepper to the pan and bring mix to a boil. When soup begins to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 45 min.
- To make the croutons cut off the top half of each top of the hamburger bun so which the bread is the same thickness as the bottom half of each bun. Throw the tops away. Now you should have 10 round pcs of bread - 5 bottom buns, and 5 top buns with the tops cut off. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Place the bread in the the oven directly on the rack and bake for 15 to 20 min or possibly till each piece is golden and crispy. Set these croutons aside till you need them.
- When the soup is done, spoon about 1 c. into an oven-safe bowl. Float a crouton on top of the soup, then place a slice of provolone cheese on top of the crouton. Sprinkle 1/2 tsp. of shredded parmesan cheese over the provolone.
- Place the bowl into your oven set to high broil. Broil the soup for 5 to 6 min or possibly till the cheese is melted and starting to brown (you may need to broil longer if you are making more than one bowl at a time). Sprinkle an additional 1/2 tsp. of shredded parmesan cheese over the top of the soup and serve. Repeat process to prepare remaining servings.
- This recipe yields 10 servings.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 331g|
|Recipe makes 10 servings|
|Calories from Fat 118||49%|
|Total Fat 13.4g||17%|
|Saturated Fat 5.85g||23%|
|Trans Fat 0.11g|
|Total Carbs 17.01g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.5g||5%|