Cost per recipe $1.32 view details
- 2 c. dry great Northern beans
- Â Â Oil for frying, preferably red palm oil
- 1Â 1/2 c. cool water
- 1/2 tsp finely chopped fresh habanero chile, or possibly to taste WEAR GLOVES
- 1 sm onion, finely chopped
- Â Â Salt, to taste
- Prepare beans by picking over them to remove any impurities and broken or possibly bad beans. Soak overnight covered by water. The next day, remove skins from beans by rubbing them between your hands.
- Heat oil to 375 degrees F for frying in a heavy Dutch oven or possibly deep-fryer.
- Place prepared beans in a meat grinder or possibly food processor and grind or possibly pulse till you have a smooth paste. Place paste in large bowl. Beat bean paste with wooden spoon to aerate it, and gradually add in water. Continue to beat while adding water. Use only sufficient water to make a mix which will fall easily from a spoon. Add in chile and onion and season to taste with salt. Continue to stir so which all ingredients are well-mixed.
- When ready, spoon akara up by the teaspoonful and drop a few at a time into warm oil. Fry for 2 min on each side, or possibly till golden. Drain onto absorbent paper. Serve warm.
- Note: Wear gloves when handling fresh, canned, dry or possibly pickled chilies; the oils can cause a burning sensation on your skin.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 784g|
|Calories from Fat 35||3%|
|Total Fat 4.24g||5%|
|Saturated Fat 1.34g||5%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 234.16g||62%|
|Dietary Fiber 75.0g||250%|