I was reading "Little Women" the other day where the family maid, Hannah, was preparing a cake recipe made from really obsolete ingredients. Afterwards, there was a scene where the four sisters: Meg, Jo, Beth and Amy were all tending their respective plots in their tiny garden of their small rented house. My train of thought switched over to my own garden in Castleville (a Zynga game) and I remembered the withered plants I had forgotten to harvest. Most of them were carrots, which are truly worth their weight in gold in terms of health and nutrition. So then, you guessed it, I had this craving for a carrot cake recipe. I am not enamored with carrots, I must admit, but I've always been curious about them. And you know what, this carrot cake actually turned out to be fantastic!
- Cake flour - 2 cups
- Cinnamon - 1 teaspoon
- Baking soda - 1 teaspoon
- Salt - 1/2 teaspoon
- Baking powder - 1 teaspoon
- Carrot Mixture:
- Grated carrots - 2 cups
- Crushed and drained pineapple - 1 cup
- Finely chopped cashew nuts - 1/2 cup
- Sesame seeds - 1/4 cup
- Pure coconut milk - 1 cup
- Egg Mixture:
- Eggs - 3
- Canola oil - 1/2 cup
- Pure orange juice - 1/2 cup
- Cold water - 1/2 cup
- - Using a strainer, sieve together all the ingredients in a bowl. Set aside.
- Directions: Carrot Mixture
- - Combine all the carrot mixture ingredients in a bowl and mix well until thoroughly incorporated. Set aside.
- - Set your oven to 350Â°F. Spray with non-stick oil or brush lightly with melted butter a 9-inch baking pan.
- - In a large mixing bowl, use a fork and beat the eggs until frothy.
- - Add in the oil, orange juice and water.
- - Switch to a hand mixer and beat on low speed.
- - Add the carrot mixture next while still beating at low speed.
- - Follow with the sieved dry ingredients, one tablespoon at a time, and switch the mixer to medium speed.
- - Pour into the baking pan and bake for 45 minutes or until the cake springs back when lightly touched.
- - Remove the pan from the oven and cool for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- - Remove the cake from the pan and cool on a wire rack.
- - Serve with your favorite Barnes and Noble classic such as "Little Women".
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 314g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 425||56%|
|Total Fat 49.13g||61%|
|Saturated Fat 14.73g||59%|
|Trans Fat 0.11g|
|Total Carbs 71.92g||19%|
|Dietary Fiber 3.8g||13%|