Although discovered by accident, red velvet cakes and cupcakes are famous for their vibrant and attractive red coloring and utterly delicious taste. The mystery of the taste of red velvet cake lies in the perfect mix of the ingredients and the red food coloring. Traditionally, they are served with cream cheese frosting. Given below is one of the best red velvet cake recipes from scratch that you can prepare using simple ingredients at home.
- In your kitchen, you will need:
- Unsalted butter (at room temperature) â 8 tablespoons
- Refined white sugar â 1 Â½ cups
- Eggs - 2 (at room temperature)
- Cocoa powder (unsweetened) â 5 heaped tablespoons
- High-grade quality red food coloring â 4 tablespoons
- Vanilla extract - 1 teaspoon
- Freshly prepared buttermilk â 1 cup
- All-purpose flour â 2 Â¼ cups
- Salt â 1 teaspoon
- Baking soda â 1 teaspoon
- Distilled white vinegar â 3 teaspoons
- For preparing the cake:
- - Preheat the oven to 350F.
- - The ingredients are enough to make two 9-inch cakes or about 24 cupcakes; therefore, grease the cake tins accordingly.
- - Mix the red food coloring with a little water (not more than 2 teaspoons).
- - Add the cocoa powder and vanilla extract to the mix and blend well, then set aside.
- - Now take a deep mixing bowl and add the butter and sugar into it. Beat well using a wooden spoon or an electric mixer.
- - Break the eggs in the mix and keep on beating until the mix is well incorporated.
- - Add the salt and mix some more.
- - Reduce the speed of the mixer to medium, add Â½ cup of buttermilk to the mix, and beat well.
- - Now add the flour to the mix (one spoon at a time) and mix at a medium speed to get a smooth mix.
- - Add the cocoa-red food coloring mix to the prepared batter and fold well so that the batter attains a very deep red color.
- - Add the baking soda and white distilled vinegar to the mix and use a mixer to get a smooth batter of dropping consistency.
- - Pour the batter in the cake pans or the cupcake tins (fill only Â¾ of the cupcake tins as the cake will rise).
- - Bake the cakes in the oven for 30-35 minutes (the cupcakes will only take about 20-25 minutes) until the tops are firm but they are still springy.
- - Cool on a wire rack for about 15 minutes before cutting the cake to serve or using frosting on it.
- - Another way to serve the cake is to sandwich a thick layer of frosting between two layers of cake.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 30g|
|Recipe makes 10 servings|
|Calories from Fat 9||43%|
|Total Fat 1.06g||1%|
|Saturated Fat 0.53g||2%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 1.26g||0%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.0g||0%|