This soup warms your soul - and is one of the most raved at my dinner parties. Make it on a cold, Fall or Winter day, and serve it with crusty bread and you are sure to have a hit.
- 2 quarts water
- 3 Tbsp beef base (e.g. Better Than Bouillon)
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 (or more) tsp Tabasco
- 8 Tbs butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 Tbsp chopped, fresh garlic
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- 2 Cups finely chopped mixed domestic mushrooms (e.g. Portabella, Crimini, and/or plain white mushrooms)
- 2 Cups coarsly chopped mixed wild mushrooms (e.g. Shitaki, Oyster, Morels, Chanterelles, or whatever you can find at Whole Foods)
- 1 Tbs fresh dill
- 2 Tbsp paprika
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 3/8 cups real sour cream or whole milk plain yogurt
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- Stock: Boil water and stir in beef base, Worcestershire and Tabasco sauces, simmer.
- In a large sauce pan, saute onions, garlic, and salt in 3 Tbsp butter until onion is tender.
- Stir in mushrooms, paprika, and pepper and saute until mushrooms begin cooking down (about 5-10 minutes).
- Add enough beef stock to cover mushrooms. Cover and simmer for ten minutes.
- Meanwhile, in another saucepan, melt remaining 5 Tbsp. butter over low heat. Whisk in flour and cook until smooth, stirring constantly, approximately one minute. Add cream and continue to cook over low heat, stirring frequently, for 8-10 minutes.
- Add cream mixture and remaining stock to mushroom mixture. Stir in sour cream, lemon juice, soy sauce, and add dill.
- Simmer for 45 minutes - 1 hour.
- Soup is better if made the day before and refrigerated over night.
- Makes 8 cups.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 362g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 221||81%|
|Total Fat 25.17g||31%|
|Saturated Fat 15.51g||62%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 10.1g||3%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.1g||7%|