I learned this recipe from my dear eldest sister, who in turn learned it from a cousin of ours. I loved having these rolls when my sister used to make them and once she got married, I tried and started making them myself. After getting married myself, every tea/ dinner party I host, I almost always make these rolls and (please don't mind my immodesty!) there haven’t been a single incident that this recipe wasn’t appreciated and people hadn’t asked me for its recipe!
These rolls have 5 basic ingredients, apart from seasonings and are quite simple to make. Yet, the taste is really unique and delicious. And for all the diet-conscious friends out there, let me mention that these rolls are quite healthy since unlike most rolls, they require very little oil for frying and are not deep fried.
These rolls store well in refrigerator up to a week. They taste scrumptious as it is, but serving with chili garlic sauce or coleslaw, doubles the taste. Do give it a try and let me know if you agree with me or not. :)
- Boneless chicken fillet 200 gms
- Potato (medium-sized) boiled 1
- Egg boiled 1
- Butter 50 gms
- Bread slices (fresh) 12-14
- Black pepper 1 tsp
- Chinese salt 1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Egg beaten (for coating) 1
- Bread crumbs as needed
- Oil for frying
- Boil chicken, potato and egg.
- Shred chicken; mash egg and potato and mix all.
- Add seasonings and butter and mix well to form filling.
- Cut the corner of bread slice and moisten it with water (enough for it to be rolled easily).
- Put the filling in the center of the slice (along the length of the slice), cover from both ends of the slice and press with hands to seal. The slice with stick due to the moisture and will take the shape of roll.
- Dip the roll in beaten egg, coat with crumbs and shallow fry till golden brown.
- Serve hot with coleslaw or chili garlic sauce.
- Always use fresh bread for these rolls; using bread taken out from refrigerator will result in breaking of the bread when trying to roll.
- For added taste (and look), add sesame seeds to the bread crumbs used for coating.
- To store the rolls, keep them in a container and cover with a clean, moist cloth so that the rolls stay fresh and moist; refrigerate the container.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 131g|
|Recipe makes 12 servings|
|Calories from Fat 178||63%|
|Total Fat 19.81g||25%|
|Saturated Fat 6.86g||27%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 4.09g||1%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.4g||1%|