Strawberry Almond Foldovers is an interesting recipe, just as its name suggests, in that the dough of these foldovers is salty while the filling is sweet, hence resulting in a perfect combination of sweet and salty. The dough is also quite different than the others that I have tried since it has cream cheese in it. When baked, the cream cheese gives the foldovers a unique smell, which reminds one of bakery items.
This recipe serves as a perfect compliment with a cup of tea or coffee and can be baked and stored in airtight containers. Also, for people with diabetes, this can be a good recipe as the dough of these foldovers is salty and the strawberry jam filling can be replaced with sugar-free jams that are easily available in markets.
Try out this one and I guarantee you that you will give it a permanent place in your list of hi-tea items. Oh and one last thing, I have adapted this recipe from Shireen Anwar's program Masala Mornings. Enjoy!
- Flour 2 cups
- Cream cheese (spreadable) 200 gms
- Butter 200 gms
- Vanilla essence 1/2 tsp
- Strawberry jam 8-10 tbsp
- Flaked almonds as needed
- Egg white (beaten) 1
- Sugar (granulated) for sprinkle
- * In a mixing bowl, add butter, cream cheese, flour & essence and beat on low speed (for 2-3 minutes) till the dough resembles bread crumbs; do not over-beat.
- * Mix with hands till the dough is smooth; if it is too soft, add little flour.
- * Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- * Lightly flour a clean surface and roll the dough about 1/4 inch thick.
- * Cut rounds with a cookie cutter.
- * Put approx. 1 tsp jam in the center and fold to form a semi-circle.
- * Brush with egg white on top, put almond flakes and sprinkle with granulated sugar.
- * Bake at 190C for 15 minutes or till golden brown.
- * If the dough is too soft to roll, add flour and roll again.
- * Do not fill too much jam in the center; otherwise it may leak out during baking.
- * Mash the jam if has fruit chunks in it.
- * Different jam flavors can be used for variation.
- * Colored sugar can be used for decoration.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 84g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 186||51%|
|Total Fat 21.18g||26%|
|Saturated Fat 13.07g||52%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 39.74g||11%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.1g||4%|