A delicious side dish to go with your thanksgiving or Christmas Dinner. Tastes a bit like a dessert and looks like a pie because it is in a pie crust. Crust must be made the day before and refrigerated. Pie itself can be made a day ahead of time or the day of
- 2 Cups all purpose flour.
- 1 tablespoon sugar.
- 3/4 Teaspoon salt.
- 3/4 cup chilled solid vegetable shortening, cut into
- 1/2-inch cubes.
- 2 tablespoons (or more) Ice water.
- 1 large egg yolk.
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons distilled white vinegar.
- 2 1/4 Pounds medium-size red-skinned sweet potatoes (Yams; about 4.)
- 1 3/4 cups sweetened condensed milk (from two 14-ounce cans.)
- 1/2 cup sugar.
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, melted.
- 1/4 cup honey.
- 2 large eggs.
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup.
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg.
- 1 teaspoon salt.
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract.
- FOR CRUST: Combine flour, sugar, and salt in processor; blend 10 seconds. Add shortening and blend, using on/off turns, until mixture resembles coarse meal. Whisk 2 tablespoons ice water, oil, egg yolk, and vinegar in a small bowl to blend. Add oil mixture to processor and blend, using on/off turns, until dough comes together in moist clumps, adding more ice water by teaspoonfuls if dough is dry. Gather dough into ball; flatten into disk. Wrap in plastic and chill at least 1 hour and up to 1 day.
- FOR FILLING: pierce sweet potatoes in several places. microwave until tender, turning once, about 12 minutes. Split potatoes open; scrape flesh into large bowl and mash until smooth. Measure 3 cups mashed potatoes and transfer to large bowl. Add all remaining ingredients to 3 cups mashed potatoes; beat filling until blended and smooth. (can be made 1 day ahead. cover and chill.) Preheat oven to 375 F. Roll out dough on floured surface to 13-inch round. Transfer to 9-inch-diameter spring form pan. press smoothly over bottom and upsides to with in 3/4 inch of top edge, sealing any cracks. Add filling to dough-lined pan. Bake torte until filling is beginning to brown at edges and is just set in center, about 1 and a half hours. Transfer torte to rack. Cool 45 minutes. Cut around pan sides to loosen torte. Remove pan sides.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 141g|
|Recipe makes 10 servings|
|Calories from Fat 254||45%|
|Total Fat 28.82g||36%|
|Saturated Fat 11.48g||46%|
|Trans Fat 5.14g|
|Total Carbs 70.13g||19%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.8g||3%|