- 4 large portobello mushrooms
- Â· 4 small portobello stems, removed from the caps and chopped
- Â· 2-3 Tbsp Margarine or Olive oil
- Â· 2 green onion chopped
- Â· 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- Â· 2 Tbsp. of thyme
- Â· 1 tsp fresh rosemary, minced
- Â· 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Â· 1/4 cup white wine
- Â· 1 lemon
- Â· .5 tsp. of lemon zest
- Â· 1 tsp. of ground black pepper
- Â· Salt to taste
- Â· 1-1/4 dark rye bread
- Â· 2 Tbsp White Miso
- Â· 3 Tbsp shredded Vegan Monterey Jack(for stuffing)
- Â· Â¼ C shredded Vegan Monterrey Jack (for garnishing)
- Â· 1/2 cup Almond milk
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a toaster, toast rye bread until firm remove from toaster and let it harden at room temperature.
- Gently pull stem from the mushrooms, and set aside. Wash all the caps and the extracted stems quickly. After washed, place all of the mushroom caps gill side up on paper towels so that they do not hold any excess moisture.
- Wash off the peel of the lemon and set aside.
- Bread should be cooled by now. Place bread on top of one another and chop slices into strips length wise. Turn slices and repeat the chopping procedure. Put bread squares into a processor/blender and blend until the consistency is similar to that of bread crumbs.
- Heat a pan over medium high heat with the oil. Add the green onion, chopped mushrooms stems, thyme, rosemary, and garlic. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently, until garlic is lightly brown. Add onion powder, salt and pepper to the mixture. Add the wine and scrape up any browned bits. Let it reduce for a minute or so, then add 3 Tbsp cheese, miso, breadcrumbs, and milk. Stir everything together until well incorporated. Remove from heat.
- Cut the lemon in half. Juice the lemon by hand and strain it through your fingers to catch any seeds that may come loose into the pan. Evenly fill the mushroom caps with the mixture. Add remainder of shredded cheese and bake for about 12-15 minutes.