Birthdays are always special for everybody. Your child’s first birthday and first birthday cake recipes are always extra special and to make it even more special, here is a simple chocolate cake recipe that can be prepared at home and make you the star mom of the party.
- What you will need for the cake:
- 1 cup of cocoa powder
- 2 cups of boiling water
- 1 cup of unsalted butter at room temperature
- 2 Â½ cups of refined sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 Â¾ cups of all-purpose flour
- 2 Â¼ tablespoons of baking soda
- A pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- While the cake is cooling you can prepare the chocolate frosting using:
- Semisweet chocolate chips â 1packet
- Half and half cream â Â½ cup
- Soft unsalted butter â Â¾ cup
- Icing sugar â 2 Â½ cups
- Mixed fruit jam
- Piping bag
- Edible silver balls for decoration
- To prepare the cake:
- Preheat your oven to 180Â°C.
- Add the cocoa powder to the boiling water and mix well. You can also use dry cocoa powder, but by mixing it with water it gives a better color.
- In a bowl, place the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda and salt) and mix well. Set aside.
- Break the eggs in a large deep bowl and using the whisk attachment in a blender, whisk the eggs until fluffy.
- Add the sugar to the mix and whisk for 3 more minutes.
- Add butter to the mix and blend well.
- Next, add the cocoa powder and water mix.
- Blend well until the sugar is dissolved.
- Now add the vanilla extract (you can also use any of the other essences).
- Lastly, add the dry ingredients to the prepared mix and blend well until there are no lumps and you get a smooth batter of dropping consistency.
- Pour in a shaped baking tin and bake in the preheated oven for about 35-40 minutes.
- At the end of the baking time, take the cake out of the oven and let it cool on a wire rack.
- To prepare the frosting:
- In a double boiler, melt the chocolate chips and butter.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the cream and icing sugar.
- Whisk well to a spreading consistency.
- Assembling the cake:
- Cut the cake in the middle horizontally.
- Place the bottom layer on the cake stand and spread a layer of frosting over it.
- Place the second layer over it and cover the cake with frosting on all sides.
- Put some mixed fruit jam in the piping bag and decorate the sides of the cake.
- Sprinkle some edible silver balls over the cake and let it cool in the fridge for some time before serving.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 382g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 555||43%|
|Total Fat 63.09g||79%|
|Saturated Fat 36.87g||147%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 160.96g||43%|
|Dietary Fiber 4.7g||16%|