This casserole comes out of the oven with a golden crust and a good-food smell that will pull your family to the table. Generous servings and half the calories of a traditional Shepherd's Pie. I make it when I have leftovers in the fridge--cooked turkey/chicken and mashed potatoes. If you don't have cooked chicken in the fridge, buy a rotisserie chicken and low-sodium broth or poach some boneless chicken breasts in water with a bay leaf and thyme.
This recipe is adapted from the WeightWatchers New Complete Cookbook.
- 1 Tblsp olive oil
- 2 Tblsp flour
- 1 1/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh black pepper
- 1 tsp dried Bouquet Garni mix, or your favorite herbs
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken/turkey breast
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups frozen cut vegetables (I used a mix of carrots, peas, lima beans, corn and green beans)
- 1/2 cup evaporated skim milk, or fat-free half'n'half
- 1 Tblsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 2 cups mashed potatoes--I omit butter and use buttermilk instead of cream. Great flavor, fewer calories.
- Preheat oven to 400F degrees.
- Spray a 2-quart casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Put the frozen vegetables and minced onion in a bowl, microwave until vegetables are thawed and onion is softened, approximately 2 minutes.
- Heat olive oil in a medium nonstick saucepan over medium heat. Sprinkle with 1 Tbsp. flour; cook, stirring constantly, until lightly gold.
- Whisk in the broth, salt, pepper, Bouquet Garni herb blend and thyme, bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, stirring constantly, until thickened, 3-4 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the chicken and the remaining tablespoon of flour.
- Stir in the vegetables and onion, sauce, and milk. Transfer to the casserole dish.
- Top with the potatoes, spreading to cover the filling completely; sprinkle with the cheese and paprika.
- Bake until bubbling and the potatoes are golden, 30-35 minutes.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 354g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 143||41%|
|Total Fat 16.03g||20%|
|Saturated Fat 4.92g||20%|
|Trans Fat 0.11g|
|Total Carbs 25.53g||7%|
|Dietary Fiber 5.4g||18%|