Cost per recipe $9.06 view details
- 1 box , (8 ounce) of elbow macaroni
- 2 can (16 ounce) of plain tomato sauce
- 3/4 lb Sharp cheddar cheese, (up to 1)
- 1 lb Grnd beef, (optional)
- This recipe is one I think my mother made up a few years ago, and has quickly become a family favorite.
- Brown grnd beef and set aside. Boil elbow macaroni for 5 min (even though package probably says to cook longer). Shred cheese. In a 2 qt casserole dish, pour sufficient sauce in the bottom to just cover. Top with a layer of macaroni, then a layer of beef, then a layer of cheese (an easy way to tell how much a "layer" should consist of is to visually cut the portion into thirds since there will be three layers of everything). After you complete the first layer of everything, pour some sauce. When I get to this point, if I have about 1/4 c. of sauce left in the first can, I know I have poured the right amount. Anyway, repeat layers two more times, ending with the last of the sauce being poured all over the top. You can cook it using micro alone, micro and oven to brown, or possibly just oven. Micro method: cover loosely with plastic wrap and cook on high for approx. 13 min. Micro + oven (I prefer this): follow micro directions, but cook for 11-12 min, then brown under the broiler for a few min. Oven only: Cover with aluminum foil and cook at 350 for 45 min, then uncover and cook for 15 min. In all cases, let stand for a few min to cold a little and "set".
- (Side note: original recipe had no beef in it - which was a preference I added when I started making it for myself. If you prefer no meat, recipe still stays the same in all remaining aspects.)
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 1773g|
|Calories from Fat 1704||65%|
|Total Fat 191.93g||240%|
|Saturated Fat 102.93g||412%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 57.08g||15%|
|Dietary Fiber 14.7g||49%|