This is a great side dish we served tonight with leftover chicken breast. I've been getting great vegetarian ideas from Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone by Deborah Madison. I left the cheese out of this one to up the healthiness, and it tasted great without!
- 3 ears of corn
- 2 cups water mixed with 1/2 tsp vegetable bouillon
- 1 cup white quinoa, rinsed
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced scallions (white and green parts)
- Optional: 1/3 cup crumbled feta or grated cheddar
- Shuck the corn and slice off the kernels then set aside. Use the backside of the knife to scrape the cobs and get the milk into a sauce pan. Add the the water and stock to boil in a medium sauce pan and add the quinoa and 1/2 tsp salt. Lower the heat, cover, and simmer for 15 min. Take off heat and let stand for 5 min.
- Melt the butter in a small saute pan, add the corn kernels and scallions, and cook over medium high heat for about 3 minutes. Toss them with the quinoa, season with pepper and additional salt if desired, and serve. Optional: Finish with crumbled cheese.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 200g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 51||25%|
|Total Fat 5.77g||7%|
|Saturated Fat 2.17g||9%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 32.77g||9%|
|Dietary Fiber 3.9g||13%|