I really wanted play around with pumpkin. And pasta. I had read a bunch of recipes, but wasn't too jazzed about any of them. Then I decided, why not use pumpkin in a dish I already love -- lasagna. But, I wanted to make it a little different, so I decided it a) should be roll ups and b) it should have some kind of white sauce with mushrooms.
- 8 oz. package of sliced baby bella mushrooms
- 8 oz. package shredded part-skim mozzarella
- 1 can of pure pumpkin (1 pound, 13 oz. jar is what I bought--it was on sale cheaper than the small one)
- 15 oz. fat-free ricotta
- 1/2 pint light cream
- 2 tablespoons Smart Balance (you can use butter)
- 9 lasagna noodles - cooked as directed
- Preheat over to 375 degree.
- Melt two tablespoons Smart Balance (or butter) in a pan and add mushrooms, salt and pepper. Cover and lower the heat so that the water (and flavor) from the mushrooms seep out.
- In the meantime, I played with my pumpkin and ricotta mixture, doing a ratio of two, 1/4 cups of pumpkin to 1/2 cup ricotta. Mix and add just a little salt, pepper and nutmeg till you have a taste you like.
- Using a slotted spoon take out mushrooms when they are firm and sporadically shop them - leave some large and small small. (I used my beloved mini-shopper to do this) Place back into the pot, add the light cream and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- It is likely your light cream is going to create a very thin sauce. So, take 2 tablespoons flour and 2 tablespoons butter, melt it in a pan until it becomes a paste-like mixture and add it to the mushrooms and cream. It should thicken quick. Let it simmer for a few minutes and remove from heat. Mix in a little nutmeg for flavor.
- Take the mushroom mixture and coat the bottom of a 9 x9 pan.
- Take a piece of lasagna and spread it on a flat surface and spread some of the pumpkin and ricotta mixture. Put as much or as little as you want.
- Sprinkle with mozzarella.
- And start at one end and roll!
- Arrange the roll ups in the dish and using a spatula, (yes, the mixture is that thick) coat the top with all the mushroom and cream mixture. Liberally top with mozzarella.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes, check it and then bake for another 10 minutes.
- As with many dishes like this, it's even better the next day because all the flavors get a chance to mush together.
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 1065g|
|Calories from Fat 980||70%|
|Total Fat 110.06g||138%|
|Saturated Fat 62.56g||250%|
|Trans Fat 0.2g|
|Total Carbs 47.23g||13%|
|Dietary Fiber 4.1g||14%|