This easy and delicious recipe by Neapolitan chef Inghemarck Guida highlights the unique taste of Sorrento walnuts.
Of course, if you can't get Sorrento walnuts, this dish will work with 'regular' walnuts--just make sure they are still fresh and flavorful.
The original recipe calls for 'zucca' which is Italian for pumpkin. But Italian pumpkins are quite different in flavor and texture from American ones, so it is best to use another winter squash—butternut squash is the most common—or even baby yams, which are very close in flavor to the Italian zucca. Small, sweet pie pumpkins also work quite well.
You can visit Chef Guida's CES profile at: http://www.cookeatshare.com/chefs/inghemarck-guida-120962.
- 300 grams of butternut squash (or pie pumpkin)
- 50 ml of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic
- 400 g penne or pennette pasta
- 80 g Sorrento walnuts, shelled and peeled
- 50 grams of butter
- 3 leaves of sage
- 80 grams of parmesan cheese, grated
- salt, pepper">pepper and hot pepper">pepper, to taste
- Peel and core a butternut squash, pie pumpkin or other winter squash. Cut the pulp into small cubes.
- SautÃ© the garlic and a hot red pepper in the olive oil. When the garlic is just starting to brown, remove it and the pepper, then add the squash. SautÃ© for a few minutes, then add a bit of water (say, a shot glassful) and cover. Simmer gently until the squash is completely tender. PurÃ©e in a blender or food processor.
- Meanwhile, start the pasta to cook in well-salted, boiling water.
- Then take a skillet large enough to hold the pasta and the other ingredients and sautÃ© the walnuts in the butter for a few minutes to bring out their flavor.
- While the pasta is very al dente, transfer it, along with the squash purÃ©e, to the skillet with the walnuts. Mix well and let the mixture simmer together for a minute or two to let the flavors meld.
- At the last, add the cheese, stir once, and serve, garnished with the sage leaves cut into thin strips.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 207g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 253||37%|
|Total Fat 28.85g||36%|
|Saturated Fat 11.75g||47%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 83.07g||22%|
|Dietary Fiber 4.5g||15%|