I use our applewood smoked bacon - but you can use hickory smoked, as well. This will underscore the best flavor of the liver sausage
Blend the onion & bacon together, then thoroughly incorporate the mixture into the liver sausage, making a paste. Shape the product into a ball, cover and chill before serving.
A "pâté" (pah-TAY) is simply a paste of meat and a fat. It can be super fancy, or, as in this recipe, super simple. Guaranteed to impress your guests. Try this next time your are looking for a 'fancy' or special appetizer that requires next to no effort. This is a basic German-style country dish. If you can't obtain a smoked liver sausage, braunschweiger or regular liver sausage will still give you a tasty dish.
I personally do not enjoy liver - but I love this dish and so will you, even if you don't care for liver either...
Whether I serve this to my guests on toast points, or just whip some up to enjoy with Triscuits, I am always amazed at how the simple dishes can please a diner.
I like to use a simple, local smoked liver sausage as a base, apple smoked, lean bacon and a sweet (Vidalia or a Texas 1040) onion.
- 8 oz smoked liver sausage
- 1/3 C finely chopped sweet onion
- 1/4 C smoked lean bacon, well cooked and finely chopped
- TIP: If you're serving this to guests, you will either present the completed dish as a chilled 'ball' on a bed of Italian parsley for a serve-yourself appetizer, or you can present appetizer toast points or fine crackers, each with a tsp of the pÃ¢tÃ© and a touch of Italian parsley for presentation.
- While your bacon is cooking, chop the onion and add it to the liver sausage in a bowl.
- Drain the bacon and chop it finely - you want bits, not pieces
- Add the bacon to the liver sausage and the onion
- Combine the three elements well
- Round the combined ingredients into a ball, cover with cling wrap and chill for not less than an hour
- Serve as you determine best suits the occasion
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 88g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 206||80%|
|Total Fat 22.83g||29%|
|Saturated Fat 7.5g||30%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 3.12g||1%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.1g||0%|