A vegan diet means not eating any dairy or animal products i.e. no meat, poultry, eggs, butter or cheese etc. However, it does not mean that it has to be a complicated diet. There are a number of delicious dishes that you can prepare using vegan ingredients. Here is a simple, easy and healthy vegan carrot cake recipe with vegan cream cheese frosting that you can prepare at home for dessert or as an evening snack.
- On your shopping list:
- 400 grams of grated red carrots
- 250 grams of white sugar
- 250 grams of white flour
- 10 grams of baking powder
- 2.5 grams of baking soda
- A pinch of salt
- 7 grams of ground cinnamon
- Fresh juice of 2 small oranges
- 112 ml of canola oil
- 165 grams of chopped raisins
- 180 grams of chopped walnuts
- On your shopping list for the vegan cream cheese frosting:
- 150 grams of soy cream cheese
- 50 grams of vegan margarine
- 230 grams of powdered sugar
- 10 ml of vanilla essence
- - Do not use an electric or hand blender to prepare this recipe. Use only a wooden spoon or ladle.
- - Preheat the oven to 350F.
- - In a deep bowl, mix the sugar, flour, baking powder and baking soda.
- - Add the orange juice and cinnamon powder to the mix and fold the mix well.
- - Now add the oil and mix some more.
- - Fold in the grated carrots and the salt, and mix well so that there are no lumps of carrot in the mix.
- - Now add the chopped raisins and chopped walnuts and fold the mix.
- - Grease a baking pan using cooking spray or canola oil.
- - Pour the batter in the prepared pan.
- - Bake the cake in the preheated oven for about 45 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- - Cool on a wire rack before frosting the cake.
- Preparation for the vegan cream cheese frosting:
- - Beat the soy cream cheese and margarine in a bowl until you get a soft, creamy texture.
- - Add the sugar and vanilla essence and beat some more until the mix is of spreading consistency.
- - Scoop the mix in a piping bag and put it in the fridge for some time before using.
- For assembling the cake:
- - Cut the cake in little squares, drizzle the frosting on the pieces in an abstract manner, and cool in the fridge to set the frosting before serving.
- - You can also spread the frosting all over the cake and then cut in slices to serve.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 365g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 348||29%|
|Total Fat 40.1g||50%|
|Saturated Fat 3.32g||13%|
|Trans Fat 0.1g|
|Total Carbs 213.14g||57%|
|Dietary Fiber 8.0g||27%|