Carrots are easily one of the healthiest and most colorful vegetables to have in a cake recipe. The vibrant color of orange alone whets your appetite before you even start to think about its nutritional value. With the added bonus of minty green goodness, you have a sparkling tribute to healthy goodness (and fresh breath).
- Canola oil - 3/4 cup
- Sugar - 1 and a half cups
- Eggs - 3 pcs
- Grated carrots - 1 cup
- Finely chopped cashews - 1/3 cup
- Crushed pineapple, drained - 1/2 cup
- Dessicated coconut - 1/2 cup
- Raisins - 1/3 cup
- Ginger powder - 1/2 teaspoon
- Cake flour - 2 cups
- Baking powder - 2 teaspoons
- Cinnamon powder - 1 tablespoon
- Salt - 1 teaspoon
- Mint Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 bar of cream cheese
- 1/2 a stick of butter
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon mint flavoring
- 1/4 teaspoon green food dye
- For the Egg Whip:
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar powder
- 1/4 cup confectioner's sugar
- 1 cup finely chopped cashew nuts
- - Pre-heat the oven to 350Â°F.
- - Brush lightly with melted butter then sprinkle flour on a 9-inch cake pan. Tap the pan to evenly distribute the flour.
- - In a mixing bowl, combine together the first 9 ingredients (oil, sugar, eggs, carrots, nuts, pineapple, coconut, raisins and powdered ginger).
- - In another bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt together.
- - Blend this gradually into the carrot mixture using a hand mixer at medium speed until all the ingredients are thoroughly mixed.
- - Pour the batter into the cake pan, tap to even out, and bake for an estimated 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean after inserting into the cake.
- - Remove the pan from the oven and cool for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- - Remove the cake from the pan onto a wire rack and cool completely.
- Method for the frosting:
- - Beat until smooth the cream cheese, butter, and canola oil.
- - Gradually add the powdered sugar, the mint flavoring and the green food dye while continuing to beat.
- - Mix well and fold into the egg whip.
- - Whip the egg white, cream of tartar powder and confectioner's sugar on high speed until stiff peaks form.
- - Fold in the prepared cream cheese mixture.
- - Spread on the top and sides of the carrot cake for a green marble effect.
- - Sprinkle the finely chopped cashew nuts on top.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 397g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 738||56%|
|Total Fat 84.66g||106%|
|Saturated Fat 16.12g||64%|
|Trans Fat 0.19g|
|Total Carbs 127.82g||34%|
|Dietary Fiber 5.3g||18%|