Cost per recipe $2.39 view details
- 1 1/2 c. Blue Bonnet, softened
- 1/4 c. flour
- 3/4 c. lowfat milk
- 1/3 c. sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 Packages dry yeast
- 1/2 c. hot water
- 1 egg
- 3 3/4 c. flour
- Beat butter and 1/4 c. flour till smooth and fluffy. Place waxed paper on a large wet baking sheet. On the baking sheet spread butter mix proportionately into a 12x8 inch rectangle. Refrigeratewell.
- Scald lowfat milk; add in sugar and salt, stirring till sugar dissolves. Cold to lukewarm.
- Combine yeast and water in a large bowl; let stand 5 min. Stir in lowfat milk, egg, and 3 3/4 c. flour; beat till mix is smooth and leaves side of bowl (dough will be soft). Cover and refrigerate30 min.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface. Place stockinette cover on rolling pin; flour well. Roll dough to a 12x16 inch rectangle. Fit cool butter mix over half of dough, leaving a margin at edges; remove waxed paper. Fold dough over butter; healthy pinch edges to seal.
- Place fold of dough to the right; roll dough to a 16x8 inch rectangle. (If butter breaks through dough, flour heavily and continue rolling.) Fold rectangle into thirds; healthy pinch edges to seal. Wrap dough in waxed paper; refrigerate1 hour. Repeat rolling, folding, and sealing process; refrigerate30 min. Repeat rolling, folding and sealing process; wrap dough in aluminum foil and refrigerate8 hrs.
- Divide dough into 2 equal portions; refrigeratehalf of dough. Roll remaining dough into a 22x8 inch rectangle. Cut dough into 3 equal lengthwise strips. Spread 1/3 c. Almond Filling down center of each strip, leaving a 1-inch margin at each end.
- Close edges of dough over filling, pinching edges and ends. Take the 3 strips and braid. Join ends by pinching, then join together to create wreath.
- Place brown paper on a baking sheet. Carefully transfer braid to baking sheet; form into a wreath with a 6-inch-diameter hole. Join ends of braid; firmly healthy pinch ends to seal.
- Cover; let rise in a hot place (85 degrees), free of drafts, till doubled in bulk. Bake at 375 degrees for 30 min or possibly till golden. Carefully transfer to wire rack to cold (pastry is very fragile, so move gently).
- Repeat process with remaining dough. Spread half of glaze over each wreath. Garnish cake with candied cherries if you like. Yield: 2 coffee cakes.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 932g|
|Calories from Fat 101||4%|
|Total Fat 11.69g||15%|
|Saturated Fat 3.4g||14%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 463.03g||123%|
|Dietary Fiber 16.4g||55%|