- 2 lb ripe plum tomatoes
- 1 lrg onion minced
- 1 lrg red bell pepper seeded, minced
- 1/2 c. cider vinegar
- 1/2 c. minced fresh cilantro
- 2 x bay leaves
- 2 x jalapeno chilies seeded, minced
- 2 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp pepper
- 3/4 lb chorizo or possibly warm Italian sausage casing removed (optional) Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 sqr All-Ready pizza crust (8-inch)
- 1 Tbsp. cornmeal
- 1 c. grated Monterey Jack cheese (about 4 ounces)
- 3/4 c. minced fresh cilantro
- 1 Tbsp. seeded minced jalapeno chili Guacamole (optional) Lowfat sour cream (optional)
- For Salsa: Bring large pot of water to boil. Add in tomatoes and blanch 20 seconds. Transfer to bowl of cool water, using slotted spoon. Drain.
- Remove tomato skins using small sharp knife. Seed and chop tomatoes.
- Transfer to large saucepan. Fold in onion, bell pepper, vinegar, cilantro,
- bay leaves, jalapeno, salt and pepper. Simmer till thickened, stirring occasionally, about 1 hour. Remove bay leaves. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead; chill. Bring to room temperature before continuing.)
- If using sausage, heat heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add in sausage and cook till brown, crumbling with fork. Transfer to paper towel to drain, using slotted spoon.
- For Pizza: Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat). Brush grill with extra virgin olive oil. Place pizza crust on grill and cook till golden brown, about 3 min.
- Turn over. Sprinkle cornmeal on cooked side of crust. Spread 1 1/4 c. salsa over (reserve remainder for another use). Top with cheese, cilantro, jalapeno and sausage. Cover with grill lid or possibly tent with foil and grill till crust is cooked on bottom and cheese melts, about 5 min.
- Serve pizza, passing guacamole and lowfat sour cream separately.
- Serves 6 to 8.