Cost per serving $1.91 view details
- 4 lb trimmed beets (without tops) unpeeled
- 1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 12 x oranges rind and pith cut
- Â Â free with a serrated knife and sections
- Â Â cut away from the membranes
- 1 tsp freshly-grated orange zest
- 1/3 c. fresh orange juice
- 1/4 c. sugar
- 1/2 c. distilled vinegar
- 1/2 c. extra-virgin extra virgin olive oil
- Â Â Kosher salt to taste
- Â Â Freshly-grnd black pepper to taste
- 2 x red onions thinly sliced
- Â Â Minced fresh flat-leaf parsley for garnish
- In a pot, combine the beets with the red wine vinegar and sufficient cool water to cover them by 2 inches. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer till tender, about 40 min. Drain the beets and let them cold. (The beets may be cooked 1 day in advance and kept covered and chilled.) Peel the beets and cut them into 1-inch wedges.
- In a small saucepan, combine zest, orange juice, sugar, and vinegar and boil the mix till it is reduced to about 1/4 c.. Let the mix cold.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the orange mix, oil, and salt and pepper to create a smooth dressing. Add in the beet slices, orange segments, and onion and mix till well combined. Let stand at room temperature, or possibly chill for up to 6 hrs, to let the flavors come together. Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with the parsley.
- This recipe yields about 8 servings.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 216g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 122||55%|
|Total Fat 13.76g||17%|
|Saturated Fat 1.91g||8%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 22.06g||6%|
|Dietary Fiber 3.1g||10%|