Cost per serving $1.82 view details
- 4 lb trimmed beets (without tops) unpeeled
- 1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 12 x oranges rind and pith cut free with a serrated knife and sections cut away from the membranes
- 1 tsp freshly-grated orange zest
- 1/3 c. fresh orange juice
- 1/4 c. sugar
- 1/2 c. distilled vinegar
- 1/2 c. extra-virgin extra virgin olive oil Kosher salt to taste Freshly-grnd black pepper to taste
- 2 x red onions thinly sliced Minced fresh flat-leaf parsley for garnish
- In a pot, combine the beets with the red wine vinegar and sufficient cool water to cover them by 2 inches. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer till tender, about 40 min. Drain the beets and let them cold. (The beets may be cooked 1 day in advance and kept covered and chilled.) Peel the beets and cut them into 1-inch wedges.
- In a small saucepan, combine zest, orange juice, sugar, and vinegar and boil the mix till it is reduced to about 1/4 c.. Let the mix cold.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the orange mix, oil, and salt and pepper to create a smooth dressing. Add in the beet slices, orange segments, and onion and mix till well combined. Let stand at room temperature, or possibly chill for up to 6 hrs, to let the flavors come together. Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with the parsley.
- This recipe yields about 8 servings.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 241g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 2||2%|
|Total Fat 0.29g||0%|
|Saturated Fat 0.04g||0%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 24.95g||7%|
|Dietary Fiber 3.5g||12%|